Sunday, December 12, 2010

Moments with Joey - Gifts

Pin It

SCENE 1, INTERIOR. AFTERNOON, CLASSROOM. Several students remain in the classroom working on missing homework assignments during recess. The teacher is setting up a lesson on the digital chalkboard. After a few minutes, a 5th grade boy approaches his him.

JOEY: Mr. Z, what do you want for Christmas?

[The teacher turns in his seat and looks at the boy].

TEACHER: What do I want?

JOEY: Yeah, I want to get you a present.

TEACHER: Joey, I really don’t need anything…just doing your best each day and turning in your assignments is the best gift you could ever give to me.

[The boy is silent for a moment].

JOEY: But I want to buy you something.

TEACHER: Seriously, Joey…there isn’t anything that I need; however, I appreciate you wanting to get me a gift.

[The boy shakes his head adamantly].

JOEY: Mr. Z, you don’t understand. You’re the best teacher I’ve ever had. I need to get you something so you know how much I like you…I have $83 to spend.

TEACHER: Joey, I don’t want you to spend your money on me; especially not on anything that would cost anywhere near $83.

JOEY: Well, that’s money to buy everyone gifts. [Pause]. So what do you want for Christmas? Maybe some guitar picks?

TEACHER: Just your best each day, Joey…

JOEY: Okay, tell you what…you think about it and then let me know. Okay, Mr. Z?

[The boy walks back to his desk].

SCENE 2, INTERIOR. AFTERNOON, CLASSROOM. The bell has just rung, indicating that the school day has ended. The kids gather up their backpacks and put their chairs on their desks. The class members, in turn, walk up to the teacher and give him a high five as they leave. As the class empties out of the room, the fifth grade boy approaches the teacher again. Instead of giving him a high five, he wraps his arms around the teacher and gives him a hug.

JOEY: So, have you thought of anything I can give you for Christmas?

TEACHER: What are you talking about? You just gave me the best gift of all, Joey. Thanks.

[The boy looks confused for a second then smiles].

JOEY: Well, I’m still going to give you something, Mr. Z

[The boy shoulders his backpack and walks out the door].

TEACHER: [Whispered]. You give me a gift every day, Joey…

[Fade to black].

20 comments:

Just SO said...

:) and then you are kind enough to share that gift with us. Thank you.

Nuttley said...

That one just gives you warm fuzzies all over.

BTW- I love Joey's hat. Glad he is getting into the spirit of the season.

Kalei's Best Friend said...

U may be too young to remember this show... Leave It to Beaver... somehow Joey reminds me of the 'Beave'....*sigh*

Bibi @ Bibi's Culinary Journey said...

What a sweet boy Joey is.I wish all fifth grade boys were so caring.

diane rene said...

love it :)

Mama-Face said...

from my perspective as an old lady here are my thoughts on joey's desire to purchase you a gift. first, it makes kids feel more adult-to pay for a gift. i know my 10 year old is obsessed with the idea of buying his much older siblings a 'real' gift. also the giving of something emotional, and thus possibly embarrassing, is more difficult for some than others. obviously you are much loved by joey for him to give you that hug. i love that he still wants to buy you a gift.

or maybe i have no idea what the heck i'm talking about. i do know i love joey.

(i so enjoyed your photos of NYC. so jealous. the photos themselves are completely awesome).

happy holidays!

Anonymous said...

Send him my way! You don't want something that is fine and dandy! I've got a whole list of stuff I want! ;)

Would it be considered slave labor if I had him pay me for chores he did for me?

mamahasspoken said...

Sweet story! I can't wait to hear what Joey does find for you. Though the plunger is the best gift story so far. Wonder if Joey can top it :o/

Vanessa said...

He melts my heart.

TisforTonya said...

if you're anything like the guitar players in my house you might want to rethink the offer of guitar picks... you can never have too many of those right???

Stef said...

See. What a great teacher you are!!
Love the Joey posts.

Hey, BTW, someone hacked and deleted my other blog, so I had to set up a new one. sniffles. Here is the link.

http://ooopstheregoesmymind.blogspot.com/

...in case you wanted to know.

Jenny Lynn said...

Very sweet!

Stef said...

Nevermind. My old blog came back. Feeling really lame. But love your blog always!

Susan Anderson said...

Aw. This one got me all choked up.

=)

Mikki said...

tears in my eyes. Very sweet.

Nadine said...

Oh my, what a lovely, lovely post. What a great way to start my day.

Furry Bottoms said...

Aw. Dang, where's the kleenex?

imbeingheldhostage said...

The gift that keeps on giving... what a sweet post!



Hah! My word veri, here on a teacher's blog is "reecyt". love it.

Teachinfourth said...

I can't tell you how much I love this kid...

mCat said...

Damn that Joey, now he's making me cry. First laugh, now cry......

And wait - did you say digital blackboard? WTF?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...