Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Weekly Kodachrome - Kolob Canyons

Pin It

The heat was merciless in the heart of the valley, topping out at a whopping 107 degrees Fahrenheit. The sweltering temperature was even worse as I climbed into my car; I felt akin to an ultimate supreme pizza trapped in a stone oven.

I started the ignition, and drove the countless miles towards Zion National Park. The warm boils of air whipped away the blistering heat somewhat.

I took an impromptu detour and soon found myself climbing the hills and mountains toward Kolob Canyon Reservoir. As I ascended the knolls and prominences, the temperature dropped remarkably. I watched my digital thermometer fall nearly thirty degrees.

All of the windows came down, and I wriggled my fingers in the coolness.

The photo opp. the fields and hills provided? Another type of cool, but still cool nonetheless.



You might also want to try Sweet Shot Tuesdays, Show off Your Shot, Your Sunday Best, This or That Thursday, and Community Global for other great photo memes.

6 comments:

Mindy said...

"Cool" is the word all right! I love the way you've captured the storm front, the sun's rays, and the stunning beauty of the landscape... Beautiful...

Love your description of the heat of the day as well as your detour.

(Don't you love it when the temperature is cool enough you can actually HAVE your windows down?)

Karen M. Peterson said...

All the times I've been past that turn off and I've never once visited the Kolob Canyon. I need to do something about that...

Unknown said...

You live in such an absolutely incredible place. The views are remarkable. I love them! So glad it cooled off a little. I started sweating just reading about your temperature!

Rachel said...

This photo is going to torment me! What could have been........

bon bon said...

beautiful image!

Debbie said...

i love all the tiny little details in your story....

the dramatic sky is gorgeous!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...