Monday, August 23, 2010

The Blogger Barbecue

Pin It The streets twisted and turned through the suburban neighborhoods as I drove past the variety of houses, following the directions preprogrammed into my TomTom device – let’s call her Vicky.

On the seat next to me was the biggest cake wreck I could find. After all, my dad had made it a point to let me know that you never show up to a monumental event like this empty-handed; Faux pas to the infinite degree. So I scoured the bakery department at the local grocery down the street, and found this little beauty…German chocolate with buttercream frosting (and there just might have been some Wookie hair in it too, I can’t really be too sure). A better housewarming gift I could not have preplanned any better.

It was to be a red-letter (not to be confused for a scarlet letter) day for sure; this was the day I finally met Em-Cat, the family of Utah Tib, and the notorious Cheeseboy. What can I say about these three bloggers that you don’t already know? Maybe that they’re amazing? No, I suppose that you already know that.

Curses.

You know, I do find myself in awe at some of the amazing people that are out there, just waiting to be met and work their way into the realm of friendship. I experienced Em-Cat’s sassy mannerisms, Cheeseboy’s awesomeness, and Tib’s views on tapeworms and Rob Thomas (not together, of course). I was even challenged by Ethan to a game of basketball in the front cul-de-sac.


The food was great, and the company was even better. I just wish that I’d have taken more pictures than I did.



I have the world of blogging to thank for it all.

Thank you, Blogger.


L to R: Em-Cat of That's What She Said, Teachinfourth of Adventures and Misadventures of Daily Living, Tib of Shark Bait, and Cheeseboy of The Blog O' Cheese.

We be awesome like that...

26 comments:

Vanessa said...

You crazy kids. I'm so bummed I missed it.

When you presented the wookie cake, I hope you made the wookie sound to go along with it.

Shannon said...

I am so amazed that bloggers have their own little secret society - that they travel and meet to hang out...ultra cool.

Yanet @ 3 Sun Kissed Boys said...

How fun!! How lucky of you to be able to meet in person the people you get to know thru blogland.

Serene is my name, not my life! said...

Oh man! How come I wasn't invited?

Wait, I don't live in Utah anymore. Blast!

Well, I'm jealous you all got together in person. Sounds like it would have been a day to remember!

tiburon said...

The dog/bear/wookie cake was the highlight of my evening. Even though I never had a piece - it was just fun to play the "What the heck is this cake?" game.

I am so glad we got to hang out again - and even more happy that you got the chance to meet some of my neighbors. I am more than certain they were said they didn't get a piece of the Wookie.

See you in a couple of weeks :)

Dallas and Kirsten said...

Yeah so you totally butt called me while playing basketball! I was all excited thinking you had left a fun voicemail, but instead I patiently listened to a full minute of you bouncing a ball around waiting to hear some thought provoking message...to no avail!
Also, it's good to know Vicky's still treatin' you right!

A Lark said...

What?! You left poor Vicky in the car...I'll bet you didn't even roll down the windows for her. She's probably hurt and confused that she didn't get to meet your blogger friends. And they look so fun!

Unknown said...

I love blogging get togethers! Of your group, I've only met Melissa, and I think she's completely awesome.

You're a very good writer! I like that in a 5th grade teacher-slash-photographer-slash-lost hiker rescuer.

I'll be back. Bake me a cake.

tammy said...

Good call on the cake.

Whenever I go to parties I end up hanging out with the kids too.

And whenever I meet bloggers in real life it always feels like I'm meeting celebrities or something.

The first time I met Tib, Melissa and Vanessa I did not stop laughing. I'm sure it was a fabulously fun time. I may be a little jealous I wasn't in town.

mCat said...

Okay wait! I DIDN'T offend you with the cakewrecks comment. DRAT! Now I'll have to go edit my own post!

For the record, it tasted very good. And Chloee is still telling me about the frosting and how she licked it all with her fingers. Nice to know that NOW!

You are AWESOME! New BFF for me!

mamahasspoken said...

Jealous. That's all. Jealous.

Amy said...

I just read this earlier on Cheeseboy's blog. How cool! I think you have a funnier picture of the four of you than Cheeseboy does!

So glad you got to spend some time together and to think it's all from blogging!!

mywest said...

Glad Miss Vicky got you their safely...do you wish you had shown up empty-handed or was your Wookie cake the hit of the social event?

Connie said...

That's the best looking cake I've seen in a long time...OK that I've ever seen!

Looks like a fun party.

Cheeseboy said...

That is the ugliest darned cake I have ever seen. My work is cut out for me the next time we get together to top it.

This get together/worst cake contest should be a new tradition!

Dolly said...

Good to meet you-I just saw the link on Cheeseboy's blog. Love the pictures and news on your party!!!

4evermyboys.... said...

Looks like you guys had fun!! I love the Wookie cake!! I'm not sure who Vicky is (your navigation thingy)? I actually have two, Gladys and Heidi....

Marnie said...

Now that looked like fun! I'm so glad you all got to meet! Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Trevor Holms Petersen said...

That is the worlds COOLEST cake!

Jamie said...

So Cheeseboy is real? Whoa! Didn't see that one coming. I won't lie. I'm a bit jealous. It sounded like a great deal of fun.

P.S. That cake looked phenomenal! hahaha!

Natasha and Jesse said...

How fun. Love the cake wreck! And you guys are awesome!

Emmy said...

Heard about this on Cheeseboys blog, must admit I am jealous of all of the fun. And that cake is awesome!

♥Miya said...

That is one sexy cake wreck right thar.

Gerb said...

I'm glad all went well. Actually, how could it not with that awesome cake?

Just SO said...

Looks like fun was had by all! Who was the winner in the B-Ball game?

Teachinfourth said...

The cake was the bomb…

I won the game, but wouldn't take the challenge for the football game. I mean really, he had cleats and pads...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...