Monday, April 18, 2011

Moments with Joey – Zimmered

Pin It

SCENE 1, INTERIOR. AFTERNOON, HALLWAY. The teacher is picking up his class from the school library. As the kids are moving into the hallway for a three-minute break, they are having a discussion about the shooting record of Jimmer Fredette and the final few games of the basketball season. The conversation then shifts to their teacher’s last name…

STUDENT 1: You know Mr. Z could school you.

STUDENT 2: Yeah, you could be Z’d

STUDENT 3: Or Zimmerman’d

[Pause].

JOEY: Zimmered

[The classmates in the vicinity start to grin and begin making comments to each other like: yeah, Zimmered! Being Zimmered would be cool!].

SCENE 2, INTERIOR. AFTERNOON, CLASSROOM. The class is getting ready for afternoon recess. As one student throws a wadded-up piece of trash toward the wastebasket, Joey leaps in the way and catches it before it goes in.

JOEY: Oh yeah. I’m awesome.

[The teacher looks at the boy for a second and shakes his head].

TEACHER: You know, my dog used to get excited like that when he’d catch the food I’d throw to him…

[The boy grins].

JOEY: Oh yeah, I’m a dog replacement!

TEACHER: Only you would be excited about that…

[The boy grins even wider and then breaks into song].

JOEY: ♫ ♪ Can you teach me how to Zimmer? Teach me how to Zimmer… ♪

TEACHER: When I Zimmer you, you’ll know.

[The boy starts to dance around as the teacher rolls his eyes and walks away].

SCENE 3, INTERIOR. AFTERNOON, CLASSROOM. The class is taking out their picture books to practice their fluency before going to their second grade buddy class. As they get ready to read, Joey raises his hand.

JOEY: Mr. Z?

TEACHER: What is it, Joey?

JOEY: Whenever I read out loud I try to think of how you’d read the book and I hear your voice in my head. Then I try to read that same way and make it sound the way that you’d have made it sound.

TEACHER: Congratulations, Joey…you’ve been Zimmered.

[The class bursts out laughing].

[Fade to black].



Oh, and I am posting today over at Four Perspectives. You just might find it magical...

15 comments:

Cari said...

I think I actually know Joey. :)

ashleestout said...

love it! Moderation,,,,,is love it good??

Jamie said...

That is too funny! Your students are SO creative. :)

Kalei's Best Friend said...

score 1 for Mr. Z..I am sure Joey is planning something....bet you'll be Joey-ed soon....

tammy said...

Zimmered - love it!

Richard & Natalie said...

Zimmered! That is classic.

Cheeseboy said...

Being Zimmered is like 10 times more cool than being Jimmered. Especially for Ute fans.

wendy said...

YOU...have reached epic status my friend.
Jimmer.....Zimmer
WOWZA

fade to black,
whoooosh

Mr. Hughes said...

And how lucky can you be? To have a student that tried to read with expression in his head like you? You sir are an excellent teacher! Keep up the great work (and funny stories).

mCat said...

Funny - Joey got Zimmered and didn't even see it coming!

Pumpkin Delight (Kimberly) said...

Those are the best rewards for teaching. Must have been a proud moment.

mep said...

Oh, I love this post! Makes me miss the spontaneous, fun interactions with kids. And seriously, the fact that Joey tries to imagine how you read before he reads aloud ... could you ask for more affirmation of a job well done?!

Michelle said...

Love teachers who "get it." Takes a special person to connect with kids that age. I think we could all stand to get Zimmered.

Fabulous!

Connie said...

I think I've just been Zimmered! Great post. You pulled a fast one on Joey. I've never seen the video before.

Unknown said...

You are such a great teacher.
The best.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...