Thursday, December 22, 2011

I Want an Alien for Christmas

Pin It It was a little over a week in the planning.

My team and I had to come up with something for our school Christmas sing-in, which we’d perform on the last day before the kids were to leave on break.

I’d jokingly thrown out, “I Farted on Santa’s Lap” as a possibility for the past three years in a row, but it’d never been considered with the least bit of enthusiasm or possibility of happening from my team…

…and this year was no exception.

However, I guess this was understandable coming an elementary school environment; you just know that you’d get a plethora of shocked intakes of breath from parents, copious giggles from children, and you’d hear the song caroled down the hallways and in the lunchroom for months to come.

It would give ‘deck the halls’ an entirely new meaning. Yeah, in other words the entire staff’d hate me.

Still, it’s fun to throw out the idea for the song every year, just to watch it crash and burn in a fiery inferno.

Yet even with this particular song being off the table, the fifth grade team has always managed to dredge up something that totally rocks…after all, my team and I are all about awesome and substandard just won’t do. Yeah, being a perfectionist with narcissistic tendencies is always a huge asset in regards to this.

It was about two weeks ago that we sat in our weekly meeting and kicked around ideas for this year’s performance. After all, our debut of “The Santa Claus Rock” last year would be pretty hard to beat.

After a few minutes I said, “Hey guys, I’ve got the perfect song for this year.”

My team waited for the usual proposal. I made it, it was shot down, and then threw out my real idea.

They loved it; it was so astonishingly overwhelming that they just couldn’t say no.

I came home and scoured the information superhighway in search of a karaoke version of this particular little tune, only to learn that one didn’t exist.

Curses.

Being resourceful, I pulled out my guitar, I looked up the chords online, and three practices with the students later, we were standing in front of the rest of the school ready to blow them away with our high school musical-ish performance.

Granted, in retrospect I wish that the gym hadn’t been quite so big…the roof-shaking rocking we’d performed in the classroom just wasn’t quite as strong as it had been in that vast space.

But still we were awesome.

Without further ado, I present the fifth grade in their entire splendor and glory…yours truly on lead (and only) guitar.




But now I’ve already begun to think about possibilities for next year’s presentation, mostly because I realized somewhere along the way that we’ve again set the standard for coming up with something amazing, and besides, I have to beat out my first grade teacher friend, Abe Yospe, when it comes to performance awesomeness.

...and he can be a tough act to follow.

14 comments:

Cheeseboy said...

I LOVE IT!!! Incredible choreography!!! No way my first graders could master that. And I can't play the guitar that well, so that gives you one up on me. Total show stopper! Nice job.

Fun With Ali and Hayden! said...

Have you done Walking In Your Winter Underwear? It's a classic at our school and the sole male teacher wears his red long underwear for the performance...

Kalei's Best Friend said...

Loved it! a very talented group of kids-including you- the biggest kid in the bunch.

tammy said...

Love it! Great job.

Unknown said...

Fantastic! You have very lucky students to have such a creative teacher/team!
Merry Christmas!
Oh - just for the record "I Farted On Santa's Lap" would've gotten my vote!

Anonymous said...

They were fabulous! The school I left five years ago always did a Christmas program. I miss it!

I also miss Abe!

Just SO said...

Love it! And I LOVE that you can click on the snowflake button and it SNOWS and you can play with the snow! COOL!

Rachel said...

Brilliant! I'm so glad you recorded it!!

Rhoda said...

Awesomeness!!!!!

Connie said...

That was amazing! Those kids and their great teacher really rock!!!

It will be fun to see what you come up with next year. Maybe by then, the staff will be fine with your first choice!

Richard & Natalie said...

It was a really fun deviation from the good ol' standard Christmas songs. And if I have learned anything from knowing you, it is I can always count on you to be devious. ;)

CB said...

I LOVED it - every minute! The song and the choreography!! They did soooo GREAT! That really will be tough to beat!!

Good job and Merry Christmas!

ashleestout said...

That is so fun, I'm glad your not to crazy at Christmas time to do some fun things with the kids. AWESOME!!!!

mintifresh said...

Where'd my comment go???

Anyway, that was awesome!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...