Saturday, March 10, 2012

Media of the Week - Eileen's Song

Pin It It was probably fourteen years ago that I first heard this song by Burlap to Cashmere. I will never forget how it resonated within me on that first play, and I found myself trapped within its chords and melodies.



I could write about the memories this song evokes—back in my days as a college student and a PE teacher at a local elementary school, just a few blocks from my apartment—a school long-since torn down to make way in the name of progress and moving forward; I could write about the sidewinding of streets of memory and the days when I was living on little to no income, driving home for the summers on a wing and a prayer in my shoddy little car that was held together by bailing wire and duct tape…my constant worry if it were going to break down somewhere on that arduous twelve hour journey. I could write about how I learned to play this song on the guitar, though I still couldn’t sing it very well without the aid of my brother singing harmony. I could write about the passing of loved ones along the way, and the hole it left in its crippling wake.

I could write about the person I used to be, someone vastly different that who I am right now. I could compose volumes about the changes that have affected me much as that little plot of school ground which experienced a generation of destruction and rebuilding a seemingly lifetime ago.

There is so much that I could write.

And still the song moves me...

4 comments:

Kalei's Best Friend said...

Where the heck have I been? Never heard of the song or group.. What a reflective song... Its amazing how fast time flies...

wendy said...

I was not familiar with that song.

This was a beautiful post. I had to go back and do some "catch up" reading starting with "passing of loved ones"
Loss is never easy.

I loved the last paragraph...I think probably ALL of us would write (well, If I were a good writer) about the person "I used to be"....and yet, still trying to figure out what THAT means, and what I'll end up like.
kind of a scary thought.

I am sure there is SO MUCH that you could write.
And,we'll always read.

Unknown said...

I love it : ) I never heard it before.
Isn't it amazing to look back on our lives and see where we have been and where we have come?

Gerb said...

Beautiful lyrics.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...