Monday, August 10, 2009

Central Park

Pin It I walk.

The park muffles the sounds of the traffic around me. I catch a whiff of something honeysuckleish; it brings back nice thoughts. I venture off onto the pathways where I see nobody else; the walkway is dappled in shadow as the katydids drone from the trees around me. Orange butterflies flit about as the squirrels fearlessly move close to see if I will offer them something—I do not.

I move deeper, farther into this Narnianish landscape with no idea where I am headed.

The park beckons to me.

As I explore, I recognize familiar landmarks: I soon encounter Bow Bridge, a memorable landmark from so many movies I’ve seen before, Bethesda Fountain, Sheep’s Meadow, Strawberry Fields, and the “Imagine” mosaic, laid in the memory of John Lennon.








Brilliant.

It isn’t long before I find myself spilling from the park into the street, and my feet are soon pounding the pavement. I walk the busy parkways and sidewalks. Horns honk—despite the signs warning of the $350 fines for doing so. Under my feet, the subway pass, shaking the ground as they rumble past. The air is thick and muggy, reminding me of Missouri. I’m sorely tempted to fish my headphones from my backpack but quickly change my mind; I don’t want to miss out on the cacophony of sound around me—I don’t want to ruin the experience.

I am in New York.

10 comments:

Graton said...

I sure like the pictures. Have a great time! Come see us if you visit DC.

Gerb said...

Awesome pictures. I will see all of those places... someday. Thanks for sharing another slice of your trip!

Kathy said...

I am so jealous...

Danielle said...

Looks amazing!!

KJ said...

Beautiful pictures Jason. Those bridge pictures would be beautiful in black & white!
Glad you are enjoying your trip. I am with you on the no eye contact thing... when I was there I was crossing the street & without thinking actually looked at someone coming the opposite way. Her response was "what are you looking at!" Love those New Yorkers!
Have fun!

♥Concerned♥ said...

Dang I miss central park!!!

summer said...

Curses....we might miss you. I'm in SL after not catching our flight today, standby comes with blessings and disadvantages. we'll try again later tonight, tomorrow...and on and on until we get out. Bryson is already out there, moved into the apt. today, if you need anything, give us a call. Continue to have a great time!

mamahasspoken said...

Wonderful pictures as always. What a nice green place within a busy city.

Anonymous said...

LOVE love love the photos! Mine were so different--it was snowing when I was in CP--big, fat, wet flakes. We didn't linger over-long.

Teachinfourth said...

G - I ended up just sticking with NY; maybe next time...

C - It was amazing.

G - I hope you can see them all one day as well; the park is quite the beautiful place.

K - I'll bet Yancy and Leah would put you up for a few nights if you sweet talked him...

D - Now that I am home I feel glad to be here, but I will admit that I miss being out there as well.

K - Isn't it a totally different way of life out there?

J - I went there several times. If you haven't seen the movie, "Little Manhattan" I recommend it...not only is it entertaining, much of it happens in and around the park.

S - Curses is right! I'm now at home. Perhaps one day I'll make it out there again...I'd have someone else I could visit!

M - There are several beautiful parks out there; I loved Washington Square.

L - I'd love to see some CP winter shots...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...