Thursday, February 4, 2010

These Are A Few...

Pin It I was recently issued a challenge to list 100 of my favorite things. Ah, a contest of words...The gauntlet has been thrown down, and the ball low lies in my court. How could I possibly pass up such an opportunity?

My thoughts exactly.

However, one would be prone to wonder...why aren't certain things mentioned in said list? Why are they put in that particular order? How come this or that was not mentioned?

To answer each and every one of these burning questions I must deflect by simply stating, not all of my favorite things are listed. After all, then whence would lie the mystery and mystique?

So, by all means just realize that this list is not all-inclusive, nor is it in any particular order. In other words...it is what it is.
  1. Reading
  2. Rollerblading
  3. Dancing
  4. Barbecues
  5. Friends
  6. Friends' friends
  7. Facebook
  8. Blogger
  9. Instant messaging
  10. French Fries
  11. Dr. Pepper
  12. Staionary
  13. Texting
  14. Stamping
  15. Christmas decorating
  16. Gold chains
  17. Bath and Body Works
  18. Scented candles
  19. Periwinkle shirts
  20. Frosting
  21. Aprons
  22. Die-cuts
  23. Scrapbooking
  24. Singing
  25. Love
  26. Valentine's Day
  27. Talking for hours
  28. Dating
  29. Long phone calls
  30. Pina Coladas
  31. Walks in the rain
  32. Healthy foods
  33. Exercising
  34. Yoga
  35. The feel of the ocean
  36. Dunes of the cape
  37. Chocolate dipped chocolate
  38. Sunsets
  39. Rainbows
  40. Haircuts
  41. Gardening
  42. Pillows
  43. Ruffles
  44. Meditation
  45. Sounds of Nature CDs
  46. Oprah
  47. Sheri Dew
  48. Milkshakes
  49. Not getting dirty
  50. Twilight
  51. Unicorns
  52. Pretty flowers
  53. Gossip
  54. Giggling
  55. Relief Society doilies
  56. Fluffy poodles
  57. Truffles
  58. Stickers
  59. Bubble baths
  60. The Notebook
  61. Chapstick
  62. Jane Austin
  63. Shopping
  64. Raindrops on Roses
  65. Whiskers
  66. Kittens
  67. Brightness
  68. Copper kettles
  69. Warmth
  70. Woolen mittens
  71. Brown paper
  72. Packages
  73. String
  74. Girls
  75. White dresses
  76. Blue satin
  77. Sashes
  78. Snowflakes
  79. Noses
  80. Eyelashes
  81. Silver
  82. White winters
  83. Melting
  84. Spring
  85. Cream
  86. Colored Ponies
  87. Crisp apple strudel
  88. Doorbells
  89. Sleigh bells
  90. Schnitzel
  91. Noodles
  92. Wild geese
  93. Moon
  94. Wings
  95. Biting dogs
  96. Stinging bees
  97. Remembering
  98. Feelings
  99. Feeling bad
  100. So bad


As you probably guessed, that list above was TOTALLY real. What can I say? Tell you what, I'll even give you my second list of most favorite things...
  1. The desert - How could one not love this place of sublime beauty?
  2. Being alone - Sometimes, I just need that time away from everything and everybody.
  3. Good friends - Those to laugh with, or a good shoulder to lean on.
  4. Teaching - My students bring me some of my greatest joy...and deepest sorrow.
  5. Mentoring - I sure do miss those boys sometimes.
  6. Family - For those present and absent from my life.
  7. Books - I'll forgo titles, but just know that there are a slew of them.
  8. Forests - There's nothing like an evergreen mountain forest, is there?
  9. Hiking - As well as good health to allow me to do it.
  10. Camping - Can anything compare with spending a night out beneath a star-strewn sky?
  11. Photography - If I haven't said enough about this in the past, then I've not expressed myself very well, now have I?
  12. Writing - We all need an outlet...this is only one of mine.
  13. Music - It washes the spirit and awakens us anew.
  14. A home - Four walls to protect and warm.
  15. Hot showers - There's no better way to start off a day.
  16. Cafe Rio - If you've not eaten there, you have no idea of what heavenly delights you're missing.
  17. Clouds - There's something to be said of the grey, swirling storm clouds.
  18. Rain - Bring it on...the harder the better.
  19. That song - You know the one...you've got yours, I've got mine.
  20. Location - There's something to be said of living in a place which gets all four seasons and a white Christmas most years.
  21. Reeses Peanut Butter Cups - What can I say? Gluttony comes in small packages.
  22. Digital home cinema - When the movie is your house, it is a great place to be.
  23. A conscience - Not that I always listen to it, but it's nice to know it's there...someplace.
  24. Readers - There's something to be said in having people read what you write - and leaving a comment every once and awhile.
  25. Democracy - There's too many other places where this is not available. Thank heavens for being born in the United States.
  26. Email - How in the world would I ever keep in touch with people out there? Oh, I guess Facebook still works...
  27. Random anonymous acts of kindness - Can't say anymore about that here, otherwise it wouldn't be anonymous anymore, would it?
  28. The guitar - I'm not Clapton, but I can hold my own and impress fifth graders with my skills.
  29. Autumn - By far the greatest of the four seasons...no, not the music group.
  30. iPods - When you have the ability to carry around 27,000 songs wherever you go, you feel pretty special.
  31. 26 less than before - One day, I'll blog about this.
  32. Remote controls - Oh, how they make my life more better.
  33. Mail - To open the mailbox and find that letter or package is just enough to make my day.
  34. Shows like LOST, Supernatural, Smallville, Castle, The Office, Firefly, and Voyager - Enough said.
  35. BYU Fudge Brownies - With a scoop of French vanilla ice cream, drizzled with caramel, and slathered in strawberry sauce. This will be in heaven.
  36. Accomplishment - There's something to be said of a job well-done.
  37. Air - What would we breathe without it?
  38. Flying - I just wish that I had this ability without a plane.
  39. The Pacific Northwest - There are things about it which I still loathe, but I really do miss this place. Summer was a good time to 'see' it all again.
  40. Freshly-mowed grass - That smell wafting about on the summer breeze is simply amazing.
  41. Christmas trees - The white twinkle-lights and tinsel bring with them their own kind of magic.
  42. Headlamps - What an amazing invention...they really help with caving or hands-free hiking and climbing.
  43. Heroes - The world can ever have enough of them. I have mine, you have yours. Perhaps even one or two of them are the same.
  44. (lack of) Migraines - Stopped taking the meds and have only had 2 or 3 since November.
  45. Sunsets - The flood of color in a nightly painting on cloud. Breathtaking.
  46. Laptops - Imagine how hard it would be to lug around a desktop everywhere you went.
  47. Rescues - Yeah, I needed it twice.
  48. Cell phones - Saved my life on more than one occasion. I anticipate that they will continue to do so in the future.
  49. A job - Look at the economy - we should all feel fortunate.
  50. YouTube - What video can't you find on that thing?
  51. Bread, straight from the oven - When you smell it, it's like somebody left a window open in the kitchen of heaven itself.
  52. Twilight - I've got to make fun of something...
  53. Prayer - How often it has come in handy...
  54. Memories - The good, the bad, and those which haven't been repressed.
  55. Notes from students - No matter how crummy a day just might go, one of these seems to make it all go away.
  56. Musicals - I have only been to 5 or 6 in my life, but those I've attended were AMAZING.
  57. Forgetfulness - There are just some things better left off in the halls of yesteryear and out of sight and mind.
  58. Breakfast for dinner - Hash browns, blueberry pancakes or French toast, scrambled eggs, and bacon. Maybe a glass of orange juice as well...
  59. Microwaves - Dinner in under a minute? Sounds like a blessing to me.
  60. I would say Dr. Pepper, but I kicked the habit. My name is Teachinfourth and I've been sober for three months, seventeen days...
  61. Maple bars - Manna of the gods.
  62. Clothes - I think I've said enough about that.
  63. Indoor plumbing - Trips to the outhouse would be mighty chilly this time of year.
  64. Humor - Without it, my life with be a postmoral...well, bad.
  65. New beginnings - Who doesn't appreciate a 'do over' every now and again?
  66. BBQ grills - Baked hamburgers and steak? I think not.
  67. Medicine - I had a kidney infection once, thank Allah for antibiotics.
  68. Electric razors - Because shaving with a blade is a pain in the neck.
  69. Hair gel - Something's gotta keep this do doing what it does.
  70. A CR-V - Has there ever been a better vehicle for on, or off-roading?
  71. Deodorant - I think this speaks for itself along with toilet paper and toothbrushes.
  72. Multivitamins - It's all about getting healthy without necessarily having to eat that way.
  73. Cinnamon gum - Not only does it combat bad breath, it tastes good, too.
  74. Helpers - When those people come in to help out in the classroom and are not upset when I have to finish teaching before I can get them going on something.
  75. Wheat Thins - Sundried tomato and basil to be exact. If you haven't had any, I highly recommend it.
  76. Candles - There's something about the smell they give and the ambiance they provide to a home.
  77. BluRay - Have you seen one of these movies before?
  78. Glasses and contacts - Try seeing the world through bleary eyes - yeah, it isn't any type of picnic.
  79. Being loved by others - Yeah, it's totally NOT underrated.
  80. Visitors - It's always nice to get those every once and again.
  81. Imitation - When a student comes to school with their hair spiked all over the place it just makes my day.
  82. Siblings - For the good and the bad they give.
  83. Halloween - Not too many horrible memories of this amazing holiday.
  84. Giant Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Eggs at Easter - Bring on the chocolately, evil goodness. Two this year, please.
  85. Steak - Marinated just right, this delight is about as good as it gets.
  86. Jars of Clay - If you haven't listened to them, you really should.
  87. Moms - I have two. I love them both.
  88. Dad - Things weren't always so great between us, now I can't imagine a life without him in it.
  89. Strawberries - Dipped in chocolate, over ice cream, or just straight from the plant.
  90. Procrastination - I'll get to the rest later...

14 comments:

A Lark said...

The first list....I was going "no way!" after just a few, then thinking "this has to be some kind of joke". But a tiny part of me thought....maybe I don't know him as well as I thought I did..... Whew! I'm glad for the 2nd list.

Yancy said...

I think we're technically a republic. :)

PMC said...

you got me. i was so going to make fun of you...

oh well. now you can make fun of me for believing it...even for a half a second. periwinkle....nice

L said...

The first list I was like um really, this has to be a joke, especially when I saw the texting make it on there. Too funny.

Rachel said...

Wow! I'm impressed. You had me cracking up with the first. RS doilies........uh huh!

The second list though is wonderful. I enjoyed reading it. I'm glad you took the time to do this. Made me think what my top 100 would be. I made it to number 1. Chocolate and I can't seem to get past it. I'll finish it later.... oh yeah baby! Reece's peanut butter cups. Oh divine. I'm a simple girl. Simple things please me and Reeses please me very much!

Richard & Natalie said...

A definite improvement on the original.

Thanks for playing along, TF.

MindyElias said...

My kids are my greatest joy and they too create my deepest sorrow........So good to know how much we have in common (as if we didn't already know!)

~me

Linn said...

That first list is making me sick from laughing--I was going along with it okay and then really started to get worried about you. Oprah? Relief Society doilies? Now that is funny stuff.

I like the second list a lot. Oh man, can't stop laughing.

Teachinfourth said...

J - Right before I posted, I got the great idea of making the 'first list.' I have to be honest here, I ran out of stuff to list so Julie helped me come up with a lot of those.

Y - That word reminds me of both a band and Star Wars for some reason...

M - Somebody's gotta mock somebody else somewhere, you know?

L - Like I said, it started out with just the regular list and then blossomed from there.

R - Reeces...mmmmmm.

N - Thanks for the challenge; now I can move on with my life... ;)

ME - Glad to see you're back. I feel like it's been awhile. Oh, and I have to tell you that I love the B&GC shirt. I wear it on dress-down Fridays at school each week. I love the BE GREAT on the front. What an awesome statement!

L - I figured that somebody somewhere needed a good laugh today. Looks like I found out who that was...glad you liked the lists. I was struggling on that first one for awhile there...

shoezimm said...

Oh yeah...the first list is a gut buster.....though I noticed you managed to put Twilight on BOTH LISTS!

Its nice to take a few moments and reflect on the things that you love and make you happy. I think we should all take the time to "count our blessings"... I made up a list like this back in my teens; I should pull it out and see how much of it still applies...

jayne wells said...

Yeah, that second one seems to fit you lots better. I was starting to wonder if I'd accidentally typed in the wrong url!

Unknown said...

Ok, thank you, thank you, for that second list. I was getting a little worrried about you. Sashes. Periwinkle. Warm whiskers on kittens. DOILIES!!! Talk about things that make you go hmmmm.

But the second list...there's the Jason I was pretty sure I knew. I had a feeling maple bars and Reeses would be on there. ;)

I guess it's my turn now...

Teachinfourth said...

S - It took quite a while to come up with that list...

J -Anything for a laugh, you know?

L - Of course I had to have the two greatest things in the world on the list. I am so excited to get the Reese's eggs at Easter. Oh yeah, baby...

Gerb said...

I can't believe you actually took the time to list a full hundred things in that first list!

Both lists are great.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...