Thursday, January 6, 2011

Moments with Joey – Sickness of Christmas

Pin It


SCENE 1, INTERIOR. NOON, FIFTH GRADE CLASSROOM. The teacher is entering grades as a few students work inside on the night’s homework. After several moments, a fifth grade boy staggers up to the teacher and flops down at the table, looking exasperated. He grabs his face with both of his hands and moves each side in alternating up and down motions.

JOEY: [Whining] Mr. Z, I’m missing a journal entry. [There is a short pause quickly punctuated by more whining] I don’t even know what to write a journal entry about…

TEACHER: Well, why don’t you write about what happened over Christmas break?

[The boy looks up from his position on the table].

JOEY: I was sick over Christmas.

[There is a short pause as the boy puts on a look of pure patheticness].

TEACHER: Well, then write about being sick of Christmas.

[The boy shakes his head].

JOEY: Mr. Z, I said I was sick over Christmas, not sick of Christmas.

TEACHER: Oh…then that’s different now then, isn’t it?

[The boy pauses for a split second before a perplexed look covers his face].

JOEY: Why would I ever get sick of Christmas?

TEACHER: Well, sometimes I get sick of you.

[The boy is still for several seconds and then gives a knowing nod].

JOEY: You know that’s a really good point, Mr. Z.

TEACHER: Merry Christmas…

[Fade to black].

23 comments:

Yanet @ 3 Sun Kissed Boys said...

Sick of Joey? Never!

wendy said...

ha, ha...that was dang cute.

Marnie said...

I like Joey...he can roll with it.

Bibi @ Bibi's Culinary Journey said...

Never a dull moment with Joey. That kid kills me.

Karen M. Peterson said...

I hope I don't ever get sick of Christmas. Or sick over Christmas, for that matter.

tammy said...

Ha ha!! At least the truth didn't hurt.

Kalei's Best Friend said...

Aww, teach, say it ain't so!... U get sick of Joey??? lol I DEFINITELY know that shocked the sick out of him...

Nuttley said...

So there is too much of a good thing?

But Joey?

I think not.

Oilfield Trash said...

That is awesome. lol

Mindee@ourfrontdoor said...

That is actually an excellent comparison. Children and Christmas are both wonderful things.

In moderation.

Mama-Face said...

hahahaha.

This joey is remarkably similar to my boy. That makes him all the more special to me.

Cheeseboy said...

I love how kids think that the world ends when they are sick and how it is not worthy of even speaking of.

mamahasspoken said...

Agree with everyone else, you can't get sick of Joey. But then I'm not the one teaching him every day....

Rachel said...

This is a sick post.

Teenage term/usage sick....

Teachinfourth said...

Joey can get...tiring sometimes. Mostly when he starts to whine about things. However, I wouldn't trade him for the world.

Connie said...

At least Joey understood.

tiburon said...

How can you ever get sick of Joey?!

Funny story. Olivia is in Kindergarten. In her class is a boy who's real, actual name is Joey. Olivia may or may not have a "crush" on said boy.

She informed me yesterday that she really couldn't decide whether to give Joey a cupcake or not because "he had stopped looking at her"...

Do I need to remind you that she is FIVE?!

Holly said...

POOR JOIEY... Sick of... I mean... FOR Christms!! ;p WHAT??? You still HAD CHRISTMAS? But Joey was SICK!! HOW could you??? BAHAHA!!

Powdered Toast Man said...

As long as Santa brings me my presents I won't be sick of Xmas unless that nosy Easter Bunny gets in my way.

KLZ said...

Clearly I need to know Joey better

But my parents would have stared at me stone faced until I stopped whining. I think I prefer your approach

Ally said...

I think Joey is awesome :)

Chris Phillips said...

i once told a student he smelled like old tires that had been dipped in gravy and left out in the sun and he said "i take that as a compliment"

kids = awesome

Natasha and Jesse said...

Joey and you are the best!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...