Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Makes Me Smile #3 - Raindrops on Rooftops and Umbrellas in Autos

Pin It

I woke up the other morning to hear the smattering of rain on rooftop - always an amazing noise to my ears. I can’t tell you how much I love hearing that symphony of sound as I get ready for work.

I ventured out into the drizzle, hopped in my car, and drove the distance to school. When I arrived at the building, the rain was falling a bit harder than it had been before. I looked into the backseat of the car at my computer and camera bags. Not wishing to get them wet, I wondered if I should just pull up close to the building, hope out, and run the bags inside so they wouldn’t get wet.

That’s when I noticed my umbrella lying on the back floor. I’d completely forgotten that I had it in the car at all. I gathered up my various and sundries, clicked the umbrella release button, and watched it shoot above me, like the wings of a majestic bird. As I walked across the parking lot - hearing the soft scratchy patter of rain on umbrella - it made me smile.

17 comments:

Just SO said...

The sound of rain is one of the most beautiful sounds in the world.

Amy said...

I love the rain! Fortunate for you that you had an umbrella. I only have an ice scraper in my van.

On another note, I am still numb at yet another school shooting...this time only 50 miles away. So sad!

Kristina P. said...

I love this visual! I can picture being there.

Mr. Hughes said...

I love the sound of rain too. I just wish that is what we were getting here instead of sub-zero temperature! Ah well...Spring is going to come someday! (Side note: I was totally humming the tune of "Favorite Things" when I read your title...thanks for that! Now I will be humming that all week...lol)

eminik said...

you made me smile by sharing this entry. It's beautiful :)

Cheeseboy said...

I love the rain, but not in January. This was perfectly written though through perfect imagery.

Karen M. Peterson said...

I've enjoyed every drop of rain we've had here over the past few weeks. Others are complaining about it, but I wouldn't mind if it lasts a few more weeks.

A few more months, though? Not so much.

Stef said...

Simple pleasures is where it is at!

Mrs. Cunningham said...

Ah yes, I, too, love the sound of rain. It's especially amazing when you wake to it, snooze your alarm for 10 minutes just to snuggle under the covers and listen.

mamahasspoken said...

I just don't picture rain in your area this time of year. Snow yes, rain no. But I'm glad that you did have the umbrella in the car. If your parking lot is like mine, you have a far walk to the doors...

Linn said...

I absolutely LOVE the rain! Especially when I have nothing to do and can enjoy it from inside.

Yanet @ 3 Sun Kissed Boys said...

It's always nice when things go your way.

Shannon said...

Your posts always make me smile...but the word 'smattering' is so wonderfully terrific, that I will be smiling all day.

tammy said...

I love a summer rain when it's warm enough to play in it. We haven't had enough of that here.

Rachel said...

Running in the rain. Love love love to.

Deo Volente said...

Lovely post Sir, Happy New Year.

Holly said...

I keep seeing you popping up in comments of those I go to comment on... LOL!! When Karen talked about this post I just HAD to follow her lead... because she ROCKS!! LOL!!
I lived in the FL panhandle when I was young. One of the things I MISS is a GOOD rainstorm!! Lightning would CRACK across the sky, thunder would roll and the tempo of the rain would fluctuate from hard, to harder, to light, to hardest! LOL!! It was a symphony out there!! LOVED IT!
My post the other day has the most AMAZING music clip that I think you'll enjoy. Turn your volume up at the beginning to fully enjoy the effect. Let the RAIN POUR!! ;D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...