Sunday, November 13, 2011

Weekly Kodachrome - Sticks, Boys, & Imagination

Pin It

The power of a stick in a boy’s hand – coupled with the power of imagination – can go far beyond that of a simple piece of wood...or so it did for me as a child. That seemingly paltry branch magically transforms itself into a wand capable of the most potent spells, a sword able to defeat the fiercest of dragons, or a broomstick on which one is able to escape the craftiest of enemies.

Clearly, the only limits ascribed to such a fabulous plaything would be that of one’s own imagination…


My friends and I traversed the roadway in two vehicles down to the bottoms of the Green River, where the sandy beach greeted us bathed in the golden light of evening sun. A chilly breeze rippled over the swiftly sweeping river as each of the boys—all four—picked up and discarded various branches and twigs until they’d each found the perfect one.

Some things never seem to change…I smiled.

Adventures & Misadventures of Daily Living
Did you take a photo in the past seven days that made you smile? If so, feel free to include it in the linky below. 

Remember, by adding your photo into the Weekly Kodachrome meme you are agreeing to do one of the following: display the linky or button to your post, or link back to this post so that everyone gets a little more exposure for the image they’ve uploaded. Those who don’t help to ’share the love’ will have their links removed. You can find the code for the linky here.


12 comments:

Mindy said...

You captured the boys perfectly - their playfulness, their competitiveness, their ability to forget reality and throw themselves into the role of knight, wizard, or warrior. The interplay of shadow and light and the perspective only adds to the magic of the moment.
It was a fun evening. Glad I was able to be along for the ride...

Rachel said...

My garage is full of those such sticks..... and rocks....... In fact, there is a nice long stick (more like a branch) on my front porch right now. And I am NOT to burn it because it is the perfect walking stick!!

I've noticed with my boys that sticks have to fit just right in the hands. Many sticks are picked up, held, tested, and then discarded until 'thee' perfect stick is found. When it is, you don't mess with it! Ownership is declared and then I am educated on my stupidity for not knowing who's stick is who's because they all look like...... sticks to me and I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU TOOK MY STICK AND THREW IT IN THE FIRE, AWAY, ETC.

Same with rocks....... I give up.

Ashley Sisk said...

How fun - this reminds me of Where the Wild Things are!

Mind Of Mine said...

When I was a boy, a stick was always a wand. I wanted so much to believe that there was magic in the world. It used to make me feel so empowered.

Great photo's and post!

Karen M. Peterson said...

These pictures are gorgeous. It's funny because I was going to say that these reminded me a little of your Where the Wild Things Are shoot, but someone else already mentioned it. :-)

4 Lettre Words said...

That title could be my own! :)

Stacey said...

The first picture looks remarkably like Peter Pan standing there. My favorite Disney movie brought to life!

Stasha said...

Imagination is priceless. Lovely photos!

Rebecca said...

beautiful sunset

wendy said...

What a great picture. I can just see those boys playing with their branches/sticks...and conquering worlds.
I believe there are some things in life....gosh, that went back who knows how far....that continue on through all the generations. Because children will always be children and their imagination does not cease.....
all things are possible
too bad we don't keep that attitude as we grow older, things always seem to get more complicated.
Gosh...just wave my stick around and I'll change my day.

thanks for your wonderful comments on my last post. I could totally feel and imagine the things you said..of just sitting on the porch, you (my friend) sitting by my side, just watching a sunset, feeling the coziness of a warm fire.
Isn't that just the exact thing a person who is hurting needs.

Unknown said...

Beautiful photos! And such eloquent writing!

My boys often seek out the perfect stick. It makes me smile also. Of course, then they usually chase each other around with said stick in their hands trying to whack each other. :) Ah, boys.

Richard & Natalie said...

You know, girls have hunts for the right thing too. The only thing is that we usually hunt for the right pair of boots, jeans or lipstick. ;)

The second pic is my fave, but they are both awesome.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...