Saturday, April 14, 2012

New York - I Walked this City

Pin It I walked the city.

I felt that I was in search of something…but I had no idea what. I suppose I was just out seeing all of those things I’d never viewed before.

As I hiked the cross streets and byways, one particular song by Dave Thomas Jr. came on my iPod, “We are the Stars Tonight.” So, with the buzzing of New York all around me, I also had the music carrying me onward. The following is a hodgepodge of the things I thought photo worthy. So, if you'd like to hit 'play' for the first track, you might just have a similar experience as to what I did.




I hope you enjoy the sights, too.



I sought out a few locations from the TV show, Castle.


An old bakery turned antique store.


The door of a small cafe.


The texture of this building was simply amazing.


The stairs intrigued me...



A fire hydrant made me remember one in particular from Rockford, Washington.


A barbershop on Fifth Avenue with its address made completely out of mirror fragments.


No idea...it was simply cool.



The lonely churchyard was simply begging to be photographed.






Varying architecture loomed far above me.


The trees in full bloom at Madison Square Park.


The historic Flatiron Building,




A piece of art I bought from a local artist for $1. He was sitting on the steps outside his flat with all of his 'art' and the rocks he'd painted. It kind of reminded me of the lemonade stands the kids have back home.


Waiting for the Long Island Railroad.


After spending over an hour sitting in Central Park on a secluded byway, I took this photograph before leaving.


Broadway at night.


After arriving at my brother's flat, I began a few drafts of a blog post that will probably never see the light of the Internet. The bright, glowing effect of the setting sun was created by a longer exposure time.


I almost didn't even see this bus - it blent in so well - but I finally saw it. If you are having trouble locating it, look carefully in the exact center of the photo.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll be spending 48 hours in Manhattan in a couple weeks. Any recommendations of what to do in my limited free time?

Anonymous said...

Oh. And.
I am constantly amazed at the architecture on the East coast. (Which you have captured beautifully). In creates in me a sense of history that I can only vaguely understand.
Makes me look forward to my trip.

Adrienne Zwart said...

Oh, I really enjoyed this post. All the texture and architecture--it's so interesting. Don't you love the looks you get from people who are trying to figure out what you think is so photo-worthy? LOL Beautiful photos, Teachinfourth.

Yanet @ 3 Sun Kissed Boys said...

This has been a feast to my eyes.

Btw, I am now so curious about that post.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous and beautiful. I have wanted to do this for a long time. Going to NYC end of April. I hope I work it in. Again beautiful photos. Your choices were awesome.

Kalei's Best Friend said...

Jason, next to the typical paintings, murals, architecture has always gotten my heart... I love the details... Your photos are amazing ( as if u didn't or weren't told).. I love the graceful branches of that tree in front of that building.. You definitely know how to frame a photo.. I think we are both on the same page when it comes to textures and color and pattern.... Stunning selection of NY...You need a NY gallery to happen on ya... As far as that artist, I wish I could of come across him, I probably would of bought a few things from him.

Tracy P. said...

The textures and angles are fabulous! I hope you frame your artwork and hang it. It is bound to make you smile. :-)

mCat said...

I've said it before and I'll say it again. You truly have a gift. An eye for things that I can't even imagine.

Mary Gene Atwood said...

Love your takes on NY. Very nicely done. Makes me want to go back.

Gerb said...

Someday I will see these things in real life. Maybe I will be an 80-year-old woman with a walker, but I WILL visit this city someday. (It's a great thing to have a dream!)

wendy said...

thanks for sharing with me some beautiful pictures of a place...I may never get to.
so much culture and vitality
individualism in so many things

and now, I have that song in my head
"We (walked) built this City (on rock and roll)"
whether that was your intention or not

Karen M. Peterson said...

Scrolling through the pictures with the music playing was really, really cool.

Such a beautiful city.

momto8 said...

your pictures are fabulous! really! thank you for the tour! I enjoyed it very much. have a great week!

reginag said...

Excellent story. Our experiences teaches us for good.
ut security systems

Mindy said...

Seriously.... where to begin??

I am blown away by your photos! The different angles, moods, colors... stunning...

I love the variation of settings you chose. I don't know that I could even begin to choose a favorite because you've captured so much in each one... amazing...

And the fact that you stopped and bought local "art"... priceless...

(I'm with Gerb... I may be old and decrepit by the time I get there, but someday I'd love to explore the city you have captured so brilliantly in your posts...)

Well done... yet again...

A Lark said...

Cool pictures. (:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...