Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Moments with Joey - Orphaned

Pin It
SCENE 1, INTERIOR. NOON, CLASSROOM. The teacher is answering emails as a fifth grade boy returns to the classroom from lunch. He checks the missing assignment sheet on the door, and then walks over to check the bin on the counter with the title, “Nameless and Orphans.” He begins to dig in it, looking for an assignment he is missing.

JOEY: I just love that name, ‘Nameless and Orphans.’ [The boy slides his finger over the title]. Don’t you?

[The teacher isn’t paying attention to the boy].

JOEY: Mr. Z?

TEACHER: Yeah?

JOEY: Isn’t that a cool name? Nameless and Orphans?

TEACHER: Yeah, I guess it’s pretty cool.

JOEY: What if I was an orphan? Would you still think it’s cool?

[The teacher looks up in surprise to see the boy trying to maintain a straight face].

TEACHER: So, you’re an orphan now, like Annie?

JOEY: Yep.

TEACHER: So, who’s that woman I see dropping you off and picking you up for school each day?

[The boy thinks for a second].

JOEY: My orphan mom…

TEACHER: Oh, so she’s an orphan, too?

JOEY: Yep.

[Fade to black].

8 comments:

Mindy said...

Wow... Sounds like an epidemic... Lol... Wonder if it'll spread...

What a character! I think you've definitely found a keeper.

Anonymous said...

"Orphaned" is so much better than my red scrawled "no name". I'm stealing. =)

mamahasspoken said...

At least you give them a chance to claim their orphan paper. At my school there are some who tear them up and throw them away. And there's the one who makes you write your name 100 times.....

tammy said...

Orphan Joey and his orphan mom. I can't stop giggling.

Karen M. Peterson said...

Too cute.

I agree with Joey. Nameless and Orphans is a cool name. It would make a pretty cool name for a rock band.

Alyssa S. said...

It could happen. Maybe it's hereditary.

mCat said...

Little Orphan Joey....I think I see a new broadway musical out of this one

Andie Zimmerman said...

He's a fun kid, I can tell. I think our two would get along great! ;) Thanks for stopping by, by the way. I love having you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...