Friday, September 9, 2011

They Say That Today is Our Birthday

Pin It It was a while ago that I was born.

I was born alone.

Well, there were others present I’m told…my mother for instance.

If you wanted to wish her a Happy Birthing Day, you could do so here—after all—even though I was there (and the star of the day), I hear that she did most of the work…though I’m sure that that is grossly exaggerated. It would make my day (and hers) if you did so.

Fast forward to my first year teaching, which was about a dozen years ago; I decided needed a twin.

It was my first year as a teacher.

Actually, I guess it started my first year at college, but it really became popular my first year as a teacher.

You see, once per year for the first six or so years, I would need to leave school for a doctor appointment or some other reason, and it would just so happen that my twin brother would be passing though town on his way to visit my parents.

Such an amazing coincidence, really.

My class was always so excited when Jesse would come to sub for me in the classroom. Naturally I wasn’t there when he arrived in the morning, but I would hear all about the day’s exploits from my students when he’d left and I ‘returned’ after lunch or the next day.

It was always a lot of fun to hear about how the day went from their perspective.

My principal was always great about letting Jesse substitute for me, and the first time I asked her if it would be okay if he did so, she laughed and had this twinkle in her eye…that’s the moment I knew that she was a kindred spirit.

Some principals border on mind-blowing.

Jesse always was a great sub though he didn’t have the class routines down nearly as well as I did, his hair was never quite as stylish, but he was still pretty cool. Some of my students told me that they had a hard time telling the two of us apart, while others told me that it was but obvious that I was me and he was him. They told me that if the both of us were ever standing together in a room, they would be able to pick me out in a heartbeat.

For the first six or so years of my teaching, Jesse would sub for me for either a day or a half-day once a year…and you know, having Jesse come to my classroom was fun; however, Jesse stopped coming to sub about five years ago. I soon came to realize that it was simply too much work to orchestrate everything for his visits and far too exhausting for me. Therefore, I decided that Jesse wouldn’t be permitted to come to my classroom anymore. His photos were moved to a far less conspicuous location on the bottom shelf behind my desk in the corner, and I don’t talk about him with my class any longer.


They don’t ask when he’s coming to visit. And, perchance, if they do catch a glimpse of said photos, and utter statements of things such as, “You two look just alike!” I usually counter with something to the effect of, “No way, I’m far better looking.”

I doubt Jesse will ever return to my classroom in future years. I mean, he’s a great guy—being a brother and all that—but there always comes a time when one has to let siblings go their own way.





Oh, and if you wanted to see more of the images from the calendar I made for my family a few years ago, those may be viewed here. Also, you could request Jesse as a friend on Facebook, he's pretty quiet most days, but he does post occasionally. You could also wish him a happy birthday.

Yeah, I know, crazy...and just a little bit creepy, too. Just the way I like it.

20 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Can't Jesse make a special guest appearance!

Happy birthday! You seriously don't look a day over 58.

Yanet @ 3 Sun Kissed Boys said...

Happy Birthday! Hope you feel much better today.

Anonymous said...

I hope you have a wonderful day that you are adequately spoiled. =)

Linn said...

HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY friend! I hope it is the best ever!

PS. Our oldest was almost born on 9/9, what with complications and all. They were this close *thumb and pointer almost touching* to taking him on that day. Which would have been 9/9/99 and oh so cool. But alas, it held on for a few more days and next week is his birthday. Maybe I would have pushed it more if I had known he could have shared a birthday with you. But being as he was already a month early, I didn't have the heart to push it.

And that, Jason friend, is your birthday story. You are welcome.

Kalei's Best Friend said...

Your last line summed it up well!.I love the Dasani photo....(less creepy) :-)

Diana said...

Wishing you and your mother a Happy Birthday.

tammy said...

Does your mother know she had twins?

Happy Birthday!!

Mindee@ourfrontdoor said...

Happy Birthday to you and Jesse. You should totally offer to collect his presents for him.

Kelly said...

Hope your day is wonderful. How old?

Laura said...

Happy birthday! :)

Karen M. Peterson said...

If Jesse is half as awesome as you then...that makes you the awesome one...

Sorry this comment is so lame. It's Friday and I forgot my brain at work.

Happy Birthday anyway!

Mindy said...

Awesome post. It was great to finally "meet" your "brother" Jesse. Where HAVE you been hiding him... lol...

I thought about sending you a card, but then a few things occurred to me:
1) Ummm...no address.... lol
2) My charm and wit are far more impressive than anything I could find perusing the card aisle at Walmart... (haha)
and... last, but not least -
3) It's REALLY hard to stuff peanut M&Ms and Diet Dr. P. into an envelope... (Gets all melty and sticky and stuff...teehee)

So - I guess this will have to do - Happy Birthday to you (and Jesse, of course). I hope that it was all you were wishing for.

(And I am totally with Mindee@ourfrontdoor - You really SHOULD offer to collect Jesse's presents... after all - you WERE here first...)

Sand Castles and Snow Forts said...

Happy Happy Birthday! (and to Jesse). I know I'm a day late, but your birthday fell on Friday so you get the whole weekend! May your cake seem endless! I hope it was fabulous!

Jason, as himself said...

I had to read this post three times to convince myself that there really is no Jesse. The photos are SO convincing!

I love your creative, wacky mind.

Rachel said...

To Jason, as himself: There is a Jesse. Seriously. Jason has a twin. I've met him! Several times actually.....

It's called: multiple personality narcissistic disorder

:D Happy Birthday Jason and Jesse and Joey and........!

Stephani Cochran said...

I'm not quite sure what to make of this post, so I'll leave it at that! Oh, and Happy Birthday!

Stacey said...

I have tried 4 times to get my comment on here so I can wish you a happy birthday, but I am technologically challenges lately!

Hope it was a great day for you...and I cracked up laughing when I read your post. Insanely imaginative!

mCat said...

You are a goofball! And your twin Jesse too!

And yes, I had to go thank your Momma for birthin such a fine young man! Or men....

Unknown said...

You are so creative. I LOVE Jesse : )
And you.

Richard & Natalie said...

Has anyone ever told you that you've got mad Photoshop skills?

Happy Belated!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...