Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Moments with Joey – The New Student

Pin It

SCENE 1, INTERIOR. MORNING, CLASSROOM. The teacher is getting the math lesson ready for the day when a young boy enters the classroom. He pauses at the door for a second and scans the room. Upon noticing the teacher, the boy begins to walk towards him.

JOEY: Hi, you’re Mr. Z, right?

TEACHER: Joey, you know exactly who I am.

JOEY: Oh, no I don’t. You see I’m a new student.

TEACHER: Oh. [The teacher feigns surprise]. Well in that case, what’s your name?

JOEY: Joey; it’s spelled J-O-E-Y.

TEACHER: Well, it’s nice to meet you, Joey. So, is there anything I should know about you?

[The boy looks thoughtful for a second, and then cracks a whisper of a smile].

JOEY: Yeah, I’m a slacker.

[The teacher grins].

TEACHER: Well, now that is some important information.

JOEY: I thought you would want to know.

TEACHER: Yeah, though I probably would have eventually figured it out on my own...

JOEY: Yeah, probably...

[Fade to black].

13 comments:

Mamma has spoken said...

admitting it is half the battle...
Though if he wanted to be a new student you would think that he would try to change somehow....

Kalei's Best Friend said...

@Mamma: Why would Joey want to change? he's got a good thing going as the 'old' Joey...lol...I don't he wants to disappoint lol otherwise Mr. Z. wouldn't have those zingers to throw back...

Heidi (lilmommyfoofoo) said...

I love these "Moments with Joey" posts. They totally remind me of my 5th grader nephew. :)

Sue said...

His mother must experience pure enjoyment on a daily basis. (His dad too, of course, but I relate to the mom best.)

;)

tammy said...

Sometimes you just gotta love the slackers.

K said...

charm. One of the seven fatal flaws.

T said...

the title made me wonder if you were being blessed by TWO Joeys in your class for the rest of the year... and I wasn't sure to be happy or sad for you :)

Nikki said...

I echo T's comment about reading the title. But I also thought, wonder what happened with Joey and the new student?

Karen Peterson said...

Well, sometimes it's better to just get things out in the open right off the bat. :-)

wendy said...

HEY--don't try to be someone your not. Got to respect the Slacker. Easy going, no stress kinda kid.
I love him.
I find more interest in that then the kid who says I am a straight A student, an over achiever as an athlete, totally compliant, always obedient, eagle scout, ............you get where I'm going.
I kinda like the slacker

Cherie said...

The slackers are often the ones who are the funniest! :-D

M-Cat said...

And yet, another reason why I love Joey. We are both total slackers! I get him.

Yanet @ 3 Sun Kissed Boys said...

I love how you just play along. Gotta love Joey's honesty.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...