Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Moments with Joey – The New Student

Pin It

SCENE 1, INTERIOR. MORNING, CLASSROOM. The teacher is getting the math lesson ready for the day when a young boy enters the classroom. He pauses at the door for a second and scans the room. Upon noticing the teacher, the boy begins to walk towards him.

JOEY: Hi, you’re Mr. Z, right?

TEACHER: Joey, you know exactly who I am.

JOEY: Oh, no I don’t. You see I’m a new student.

TEACHER: Oh. [The teacher feigns surprise]. Well in that case, what’s your name?

JOEY: Joey; it’s spelled J-O-E-Y.

TEACHER: Well, it’s nice to meet you, Joey. So, is there anything I should know about you?

[The boy looks thoughtful for a second, and then cracks a whisper of a smile].

JOEY: Yeah, I’m a slacker.

[The teacher grins].

TEACHER: Well, now that is some important information.

JOEY: I thought you would want to know.

TEACHER: Yeah, though I probably would have eventually figured it out on my own...

JOEY: Yeah, probably...

[Fade to black].

13 comments:

mamahasspoken said...

admitting it is half the battle...
Though if he wanted to be a new student you would think that he would try to change somehow....

Kalei's Best Friend said...

@Mamma: Why would Joey want to change? he's got a good thing going as the 'old' Joey...lol...I don't he wants to disappoint lol otherwise Mr. Z. wouldn't have those zingers to throw back...

Heidi said...

I love these "Moments with Joey" posts. They totally remind me of my 5th grader nephew. :)

Susan Anderson said...

His mother must experience pure enjoyment on a daily basis. (His dad too, of course, but I relate to the mom best.)

;)

tammy said...

Sometimes you just gotta love the slackers.

K said...

charm. One of the seven fatal flaws.

TisforTonya said...

the title made me wonder if you were being blessed by TWO Joeys in your class for the rest of the year... and I wasn't sure to be happy or sad for you :)

Nikki said...

I echo T's comment about reading the title. But I also thought, wonder what happened with Joey and the new student?

Karen M. Peterson said...

Well, sometimes it's better to just get things out in the open right off the bat. :-)

wendy said...

HEY--don't try to be someone your not. Got to respect the Slacker. Easy going, no stress kinda kid.
I love him.
I find more interest in that then the kid who says I am a straight A student, an over achiever as an athlete, totally compliant, always obedient, eagle scout, ............you get where I'm going.
I kinda like the slacker

CB said...

The slackers are often the ones who are the funniest! :-D

mCat said...

And yet, another reason why I love Joey. We are both total slackers! I get him.

Yanet @ 3 Sun Kissed Boys said...

I love how you just play along. Gotta love Joey's honesty.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...