Monday, September 19, 2011

Weekly Kodachrome - A Game for Two

Pin It

On Saturday I drove to our local Cracker Barrel to have breakfast with a group of friends. Being the photographer that I profess to be, I took my camera along…after all, there’s no telling when a photo opportunity just might present itself.

Not seeing any of my friends yet at the restaurant, I slid into one of the rocking chairs that beckoned to me from under the front shaded porch area. Glancing down at the large checkerboard before me, I drew out my camera and began to snap images.

I became vaguely aware of a family of about six just having emerged from the restaurant—mostly because their 7 year-old-ish son and I shared the same name—having looked up a few times as his mother called to him as he wandered here and there, exploring.

I continued to shoot for a few minutes, picking different angles and perspectives, trying to get the perfect shot. I paused to check a text I’d just received. As I slid my phone back into my pocket, I looked up to see the boy who shared my name now occupying the rocker directly across from me.

He grinned, the gap between his two front teeth evident as he looked down at the checkerboard between us. “Wanna play?”

It seems that even whenever I’m not at school, I’m a kid magnet.

His mom, standing twenty or so feet away looked on with an encouraging smile.

I smiled back at him, “Sure.”

And for a few minutes, we played, and it brought to mind a scene from one of my absolute favorite movies of all time.



We played until his younger siblings were all piled and seat belted into the car, and it was finally his turn. His mom called to him that it was time to go. He grinned, showing that gap again as he thanked me—sliding the pieces back into their original places. A moment later the rocker, was again made empty.

I lifted my camera, snapped this week’s Kodachrome, and smiled.


Adventures & Misadventures of Daily Living

Did you take a photo in the past seven days that made you smile? If so, feel free to include it in the linky. 



Are you willing to share the Weekly Kodachrome on your own blog? If so, grab the code HERE or snag the html for the button above.

Starting next week: I’m going to require that if you submit a photo in the linky that you either need to display the linky on your blog, or add the button to your post, so that everyone gets a little more exposure for the image they uploaded. Those who don’t help to ’share the love’ will have their links removed.

Thanks in advance for helping to spread the love...

Oh, and the Weekly Kodachrome - when it first started - was kind of whatever day I felt like; you probably noticed that the Kodachrome has now been set to run on Mondays. This is the plan, that is, unless something changes.


14 comments:

Jen Price said...

Love the angle of that shot! Also, love the story of the boy asking you to play!

Serene is my name, not my life! said...

It's the hair. I'm convinced of it. That's why you're a kid magnet, the hair.

And I'm a lousy photographer, so I have no pictures to share. But I do love Cracker Barrel!

Mindee@ourfrontdoor said...

Great photo and story and somehow I am now craving peach pancakes.

Tracy Jo said...

Great moment, shot & post! I love those moments when you are alone & something cool like that happens.

Unknown said...

There is something so great about you. I can see why kids love you. You bring out the best in everyone.

Tracy P. said...

Cracker Barrel. It's a photo waiting to happen. LOVE to take pictures there!!

Mindy said...

Love the imagery, both visually and in words. :)

Lisa said...

What a great story! You always leave me smiling.

Bibi @ Bibi's Culinary Journey said...

I love that story and what a great shot too. I can't wait to get my new camera so I can play with it.

Karen M. Peterson said...

I love that scene from Searching for Bobby Fischer. Great movie. And such a cute story.

tammy said...

Great photo. I seem to be a child magnet too. Which could be why I always end up at the kids' table at parties. And don't tell anyone....but sometimes I prefer it that way.

Richard & Natalie said...

A post by you and a game board...my thoughts went immediately to that movie and to that scene! Wow, I am goo-od!

Great shot!

I've got tons of pics that made me smile this week- just have to find time to post them.

Connie said...

Love your photo. Love your story.

Rachel said...

Crazy - how all those little impromptu moments are what make a life.

Love this shot and the story behind it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...