Monday, October 31, 2011

Moments with Joey - Fairies

Pin It

SCENE 1, INTERIOR. NOON, CLASSROOM. HALLOWEEN DAY. A few students have reentered the classroom from lunch. One boy that has returned to the classroom is wearing nothing for his costume with the exception of a pair of purple butterflyish-looking wings.

JOEY: Mr. Z, guess what I am for Halloween.

TEACHER: I’d guess that you’re either a butterfly, or a flying unicorn without a horn.

JOEY: Nope, I’m a fairy [Pause]. I borrowed these from my sister.

[The teacher looks at the boy for a second or two as the youngster cracks a large smile and starts to ‘flutter’ about the room—his hands flapping in small movements like a beauty pageant contestant drying her nails].

TEACHER: So, what would happen if I said that I didn’t believe in fairies?

[The boy stops for a second, clutches his throat, and then falls to the floor making gagging sounds and then lies still. There is silence for a few seconds as a few students notice the boy lying on the ground].

TEACHER: However, I do believe in fairies [The teacher claps his hands]. I do, I do.

[The boy springs back up to his feet and continues to ‘flutter' about the room and a few nearby students begin talking loudly back and forth].

STUDENT 1: I don’t believe in fairies.

[The boy falls to the floor].

STUDENT 2: I believe in fairies.

[The boy leaps to his feet].

STUDENT 3: I don’t believe in fairies.

[The boy falls to the floor].

STUDENT 2: I believe in fairies.

[The boy leaps to his feet again. This process is repeated over a minute or so, and it soon becomes apparent that the boy is getting tired and the students are rather enjoying the ringer they're putting Joey through. The teacher finally decides to put the boy out of his self-inflicted misery].

TEACHER: But Mr. Z believes in fairies, and that’s what’s important. Besides, everyone needs to get to work if they’re staying in from recess.

[The students get to work as the boy rises from the floor and walks over to the teacher].

JOEY: Boy, I never knew that being a fairy would be such hard work.

TEACHER: Just try remember that the next time you leave a tooth under your pillow…

[Pause].

JOEY: Maybe I’ll just go and pack up my dreams in empty cardboard boxes right now.

[Fade to black].

14 comments:

Tracy P. said...

That last line was totally unexpected--hilarious!

Kalei's Best Friend said...

So, Joey is trying to play the defeatist card, now? LOL.... smart, boy....

mamahasspoken said...

pack up his dreams in cardboard boxes as in the plural form boxes. Man, that must be a lot of dreams :o(......
Funny story as always.

tammy said...

I agree, that last line was pure awesomeness.

Karen M. Peterson said...

I love that the rest of the class jumped all over that. Kids are hilarious.

Mindee@ourfrontdoor said...

That child is sharp! (And well read)

Richard & Natalie said...

I love that the rest of the class got in on it. He sounds like a lively one- you better watch out, TF. ;)

Rebecca said...

joey is a smart boy that is very inspiring to us all

wendy said...

I don't know...but I think you have the makings from all these amazing posts, TO WRITE A BOOK.

I've always believed in fairies

wendy said...

I don't know...but I think you have the makings from all these amazing posts, TO WRITE A BOOK.

I've always believed in fairies

Valerie said...

"Just try remember that the next time you leave a tooth under your pillow…" LOL

Sand Castles and Snow Forts said...

Not a good idea to read this at 2 am. THIS is a Joey favorite. Have a lovely weekend.

Sand Castles and Snow Forts said...

An hour later and I laughed at the thought of Joey.

mCat said...

Oh the wit of Joey. I'll just go back my dreams in empty cardboard boxes.

I might need to use that line : )

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...