Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Teacher Appreciation

Pin It

It was Teacher Appreciation last week.

Monday dawned and I arrived at school—just an ordinary day.

After I finished working with the students at before-school homework lab, I moved out to the student drop off zone for early-morning duty. As parents drove up to the curb and dropped off their children, I was approached by one of my students, Joey. I did a double take as I noticed that he was dressed up in a shirt and tie.

“Why are you dressed up today, Joey?” I asked.

He shrugged his shoulders and uttered a noncommittal, “Umm Neah.”

“Well, you look nice today.”

He grinned as he turned and walked to our line up area.

A few minutes later, I noticed another one of my students who was also dressed up.

Odd…very odd.

It was at this point that I had the thought, they all dressed up because of their president reports today? Hmmm…that’s strange, I never said anything about them having to dress up for them.

Well, as it turns out, most of the class had dressed up for me. They’d conspired together sometime during the previous week and decided that the best compliment they could give their teacher was to dress up like he did for school.

Without saying a single word they were speaking volumes. In essence they had said: Mr. Z. You dress up nearly every day to teach us, and to show our gratitude and respect for you we’re dressing up, too.

Needless to say, this was teacher appreciation at its best.

15 comments:

Gerb said...

Awesome.

tammy said...

I love this! What a great gesture.

Mindy said...

Who better to emulate than the awesome Mr. Z? What a profound statement on the influence you have in the lives of your students.
Thank you for the good you do everyday in the lives of those around you.

Fun With Ali and Hayden! said...

Awesome.... But please tell me you have more than 18 students.... :D

mamahasspoken said...

Couldn't help but notice how many more girls then boys you have in your class. WOW, we don't have that here, that's for sure!

Linn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Teachinfourth said...

I actually had 30 students--not 18. One just moved, two were absent, and nine of them forgot to dress up.

It was a great gesture though.

Mrs. Bianca said...

That's amazing! So, so sweet!

wendy said...

That is the sweetest thing ever.
Kind of is an affirmation of::: Teach by Example.
You set the example, and look what it did for them.
so very cool

mCat said...

Okay, that is just cool. What a great idea!

Stephani Cochran said...

How cool is this? What a compliment to you.

CB said...

That is definately COOL!!!

Tami Anderson said...

I'm thinking that they just slept in their Sunday clothes!

Nancy said...

That is very cool!

Bee said...

This.Is.Awesome.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...