Sunday, February 3, 2008

Hinckley Viewing

Pin It I drove up to Salt Lake City on Friday the 1st of January. As I did, I felt an overwhelming urge to attend President Gordon B. Hinckley’s viewing at the Conference Center. I drove around Salt Lake until I found a spot to park my car...five blocks or so from my destination. I began to walk, pulling my jacket up around my neck as I greeted the bitter cold gusts of wind. I was alone as I walked and thought of this great man, this prophet of God.

As I neared the Conference Center I found myself in the midst thousands of people who were also there to bid their final farewells to the man who’d made such a great difference in their lives. As I began to walk past the lines circling the building in order to find myself a place in it, I overheard one of the men on duty explaining to the line, “From here, you’re looking at two hours outside and then two more once you get in the building.”

I stood, watching my breath drifting in the air before me and talked on my cell phone to my dad. As I told him about the four hour wait and needing to get up to the Tremonton area, he responded with this:

“You know...if President Hinckley were permitted to speak from beyond, he’d tell you to go, saying something to the effect of: ‘My brothers and sisters, I appreciate and am flattered by your diligence and resolve, standing here in lines around the conference center for my viewing, however, it is much too cold. Please go home. The best way in which you could honor me is to live lives which reflect the life of our Savior, even Jesus Christ. Be the best person you can possibly be.’ ”

It was after this thought that I walked to the nearly-deserted grounds of Temple Square. It was strangely quiet and there were no crowds. I did an awful lot of thinking about the Prophet as I passed the granite walls of the temple. I thought of his words…those he’d given on numerous occasions.:

“You are good. But it is not enough just to be good. You must be good for something. You must contribute good to the world. The world must be a better place for your presence. And the good that is in you must be spread to others.”

“Let us all try to stand a little taller, rise a little higher, be a little better. Make the extra effort. You will be happier. You will know new satisfaction, a new gladness in your heart.”

I hope that we can all incorporate these words into our lives.

7 comments:

Julie said...

I love the part that says, "The world must be a better place for your presence." That is something that really struck me as I was listening to the funeral yesterday. President Hinckley made the world a better place, and I hope that I can also do this in some small degree.

Danielle said...

I like your thinking....

Teachinfourth said...

Jewels,

I love that statement too!

Danielle,

Looks like we've got something in common...

*BaNaNa* said...

Wow, I really wish I could of been there, but I had no way too. The funeral was very thoughtful, it was great. Just wanted to say that.

Teachinfourth said...

Banana,

It was quite the moving experience up there, even though I didn't get in. However, I believe what President Hinckley would have been more concerned about people taking care of themselves though and not having been so concerned about his viewing.

Teachinfourth said...

Banana,

It was quite the moving experience up there, even though I didn't get in. However, I believe what President Hinckley would have been more concerned about people taking care of themselves though and not having been so concerned about his viewing.

midnight hysteria said...

just found your blog and am going to send the video to my granddaughter in denver ... it's wonderful ... also i loved your dad's words / thoughts on what pres hinckley would say about waiting to *view* him ... it's so true ... get out of here and go and do good -- kinda paraphrased it, but it's pretty much right on .....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...