Saturday, February 16, 2008

Terrible dates

Pin It No, not dates like September 11 or even the fruit (which does not taste all that great). I am speaking of those pre-arranged-
meetings-between-two-members-of-the-opposite-sex which usually have one of two outcomes, either a great relationship, or a great story...

A friend of mine directed me to a blog where people had talked about their worst 'first date' stories. I was amazed that most of those who posted were female so I found it necessary to make a comment myself. I have copied this comment for your reading pleasure:

You don’t know me, but we share a common friend, cjane. I just couldn’t help but notice that there are so many postings about girls’ bad dates, but few from the guys’ perspective…I feel that I need to make it known that there are also some freakishly strange women out there…

One memorable ‘first date’ which wasn’t really a date was when a girl from my ward, I’ll call her “Becky,” invited herself to go out with me. She wasn’t ready when I went to pick her up, and then I paid for dinner as well. The next day she called to ask, “where our relationship was.” After a conversation about our evening and how she was the one who’d invited herself out, she proceeded to tell me all of the reasons why I was still single…

One girl asked me out on a first date using her little sister who was a student at my school at the time. “My sister thinks you’re cute and wants to know if you’ll go on a date with her.” (3rd grader asking here). Talk about AWKWARD! In addition, the event this older sister had planned was hanging out at her folks’ house for her cousin’s birthday party with her entire extended family there. Luckily, I’d called a friend before the “date” who promised to call me 30 minutes into the festivities as my “escape hatch” if I needed to abort date. When she called, 15 minutes late, I was saddened to leave because of my “work-related emergency.” I went home and thought about slashing my wrists…

However, one of the worst experiences I’ve had in the dating world is from the girl who turned out to be a stalker and told ALL of her friends (as well as members of my ward) how we were “going out” and had been ‘secretly dating’ for months. In addition, she told everyone that she had a shoebox full of love letters I’d written to her (none of which I’d written) where I’d made known my deep worship of her. She also tried to spy into my apartment on the 3rd floor of the building where I lived when I ended up moving. She found my new house because I saw her on the sidewalk when I was walking home and she followed me to see where I’d moved.

I could go on, but it’s too painful. Sad that all three of these dates happened in Provo.

11 comments:

Gerb said...

I couldn't even begin to comment on this one. Let me just say that dating guys in California (especially non-LDS guys) was not always fun...they had very different expectations than I, you could say. I rarely made it past a first date.

Julie said...

Oh, the terrible date stories...such adventures!

jacs said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jacs said...

maybe it just shows that you know how to pick them...or that you're crazy...or maybe all those nasty things your middle "girlfriend" said were true....hmmmmm

jacs said...

i had best friends (male) that were a little overprotective. one was an american indian and he was a big guy, one was a redhead who usually liked the same guys i did and they were horrible for my dating life. it's just not right when you ask to buy a girl a drink and her friends ask for your work history and social security number. another great deterrent was when they asked what their "intentions" were..needless to say my dating experiences were limited by who i had decided to go clubbing with that night...

Teachinfourth said...

Gerb,

We all have horror stories.

Jewels,

Adventures? Don't you mean 'torture'?

Jaq,

They actually find me. I have a feeling that I am flypaper for freaks sometimes.

Valerie said...

Yikes! I guess it's not just girls that get beat up running the dating gauntlet. Perhaps you need to start wearing some garlic around your neck.

summer said...

I never thought about trying on the other shoe to see if I was the terrible date to someone - good grief, that is a humbling thought! From my own experience though, I had PLENTY of such dates...and they usually happened when I was in Montana, although I had my fair share at other places too. I'd share here - but it would be too long. You did give me a good idea for a later post though!

♥Concerned♥ said...

September 11th isn't ALL that horrible. It is the day we got married.

L said...

My dentist, who is also LDS, once told me that weirdos and wackos go to the Y while Prophets and Apostles go to the U. Not saying that all students who attend the Y are psycho but I think due to the abundance of raging hormones in that town it leads to some interesting demographics.

Teachinfourth said...

V - I bet it would probably help...those who are less serious would be driven away.

S - I can only surmise that I, too, have been someone's terrible date before. One day, we'll have to swap stories.

J&J - There are some good things which happen with each and every day, isn't there?

L - It takes all types, that's to be true...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...