Sunday, February 17, 2008

Perceptions of Beauty

Pin It I recently found a blog which had used a quote from my Christmas posting. I was moved that somebody felt that I was worth quoting. As I perused a few of the pages on her blog, I came across a video depicting what 'beauty' is as seen by today's society. Because I do photography, I knew about the process shown, but to actually see it in action was shocking. I must have watched this video six times.



When I was involved with the Safety Net Mentor Program I was a Big Brother to a boy who shared a song with me by the band, "Simple Plan." This song echoes the perceptions many of us have developed from society. All of these things are weighing heavily on my mind as of lately. What type of world have we become when we base what beauty is on things that are falsely manipulated and largely fictional?

8 comments:

Julie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julie said...

So sad but true. I have seen some sad experiences when people have chosen to take the world's unrealistic perspective of beauty. How I wish that everyone could see the beauty in them.

"That which is striking and beautiful is not always good, but that which is good is always beautiful." ~Ninon de L'Enclos

shoezimm said...

Okay, that is just disturbing how they manipulate the consumer...no wonder we are so disillusioned with our appearances these days.

Teachinfourth said...

Jewels,

Yeah, it would be a great thing if people see what is in them...I love all of your quotes, you seem to have a plethora of them.

Shoe,

Yep.

Valerie said...

I love the song!! Great message, and great tune. So glad to be back in touch

summer said...

I just watched the video and read all this...and so then had to send it on to all the women I know. Why do we view what is our "perception" as reality?

Teachinfourth said...

Val,

Good to be back in touch again with you too!

Lord of Summer,

I have no idea, but we keep doing it, don't we?

♥Miya said...

Hey, you ever heard of KT Tunstall? I was listening to her the other day and she's a bit like Cary Judd, so I thought you might like her:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIO2qpSsUTA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jjeVkfmu_8

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...