Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Tonight I Write the Mundane

Pin It I hadn’t really planned on blogging this evening—after all, I don’t have any insights to share, I don’t feel the need to proclaim any news, and I don’t necessarily want to write anything in particular.

I guess you could say that I just wanted to write for the sake of writing.

So I do.

Today was quite the day of mundaneness, nothing extraordinary, nothing special.

I awoke. I remember having been whisked away from the most astonishing dream; I couldn’t tell you what it entailed exactly, only that it was…pleasant. I’m pretty sure that it was one of those dreams you wouldn’t mind basking in for a few additional hours (or minutes anyhow, as dreams go). However, I didn’t seek it again, but instead got ready for the day.

I went downstairs and sat at the kitchen counter, allowing the unmoving world outside my sliding glass door to stare me straight in the face. I didn’t read emails or blog posts—I probably should have since my inbox and reader are both nearing ‘overwhelming’ levels because of disuse.

I took my glass of juice and just sat.

No music. No computer. Nothing.

It was nice…and it was the only moment of complete, untainted stillness I think I was able to enjoy today—until now. Not that I mind the bustle of chaos my life is on a usual day, because I don’t.

I made the familiar three-and-a-half-mile drive to work this morning. I didn’t listen to music. I didn’t talk on the phone. I didn’t even speak. I instead listened to the steady rhythm of my car as it sped along the deserted streets.

It was nice.

And now I am finished writing. I have nothing more to say, and I am content with this. And, after all, I told you it would be mundane.

So it is.

10 comments:

Kelly said...

Not mundane. A good reminder that we all need to slow down and enjoy good orange juice every once in a while. Thanks!

A Lark said...

Quiet is nice sometimes.

mamahasspoken said...

Ah enjoying the quiet is a wonderful thing to do. I try to do it once in awhile too.

Shannon said...

Hardly mundane...actually quite refreshing.

Linn said...

Actually, I think our souls have to have quiet every once in a while. I know mine does, or everyone around me pays for it. I'm going to look for some time today to just be. Thanks.

Richard & Natalie said...

I think I could handle more of your type of mundane in my life.
It sounds quite relaxing to me.

Teachinfourth said...

K - I suppose you're right…I know that I enjoy the quiet.

J - Amen.

B - My favorite place for 'the quiet' is in the desert. It's glorious.

S - Thanks. There are times I don't blog simply because I don't think that anybody wants to hear that particular thing, you know?

L - Hope you found your 'quiet time' today.

N - It most certainly has its moments.

Just SO said...

Have you ever heard the quote from Mary Jean Iron about a normal day? It's one of my favorites and one that I've really, really been thinking about lately.

annie valentine said...

The last time I avoided doping my mind with sound and meditating for my soul, I found my daughter had dumped an entire bottle of syrup all over my kitchen floor. She gives new meaning to white noise. Great meeting you by the way.

Unknown said...

This is the way I have been living for the last few weeks--all quiet on the blogging front as I enjoy the "mundane". Great post.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...