Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Making mistakes

Pin It I had a student in my class a few years ago…I’ll choose to call him, “Joey.”

Joey had a hard time for several years. He was the type of kid who was really smart, but lazy, and didn’t ever want to do anything. He wanted to get away with whatever he could, and would often use the right words with people to get his way.

He was really good at this.

I had this boy in my class, and from day one I tried to work with him. Did I do so every single day? No. Let’s be honest…there were a few days where it was more about survival, and just making it to the end of the day was the goal. However, did I work with him on a regular basis?

Yes. I did.

When he left my classroom I heard of problems he was still having, and things which weren’t so good in his life. You see, he was making a lot of poor decisions which, in turn, led to bigger and worse things in his life. It probably started off with lying and being dishonest with others, and this evolved into things I’ll not mention.

I got a call from a friend of mine who wanted to know if I’d seen Joey lately. I admitted that I hadn’t seen him for a few years, and had lost track of him. I came to find out that he’d made even more poor choices in his life, which have since led to him losing a lot of the freedoms which we take for granted.

In essence, his life is over.

I once heard the following quote, “Always Remember, no matter how bad you are, you are not totally useless. You can always be used as a bad example.”

I hope that my other students can learn from his mistakes…

8 comments:

Emily said...

When are we going to get together for Sunday again?? This time I'll be doing the food--even if it's at your house to escape the dog :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this. If it makes just one kid stop and think before doing something that will alter their life, it is well worth it being out there. You're the BEST!

smalltoes said...

Hey, thanks for sharing. I taught in a Jr. High last year and had a kid that was my favorite but was kinda the same way and I worry about him all the time. Sometimes I go and visit and let him know I still care even though I am not there to watch over him. The hard thing is that you can't choose for them.

annette said...

I had a manipulative boyfriend in Jr. Hi that I tried to influence for good. We broke up because the wild side was more attractive to him. Sad to say he's behind bars these days. I tried to help. Was it for naught? Maybe. But in the end, we all make our own choices.
I'm still glad I tried, because you never know.

Unknown said...

I always told my kids I was their bad example...They sometimes argue that point. But at least they can come to me and ask about things I have been through and get the real answer.

Gerb said...

The great thing is when you see someone like "Joey" years later and find that they learned from their mistakes. I knew someone who told me he had to hit rock bottom before realizing how bad things were, but you'd never know it from who he is now.

Danielle said...

I agree with mom....she was our bad example. It mostly worked for ME, won't say about the others. But I HAVE made my share of mistakes. Haven't we all?

Teachinfourth said...

Emmy - Not sure...in a week I should be a bit less stressed.

Anonymous - Got to keep trying, you know?

Shay-Shay - I think that would be a great idea, to tell you the truth. I should head up the juvenile detention facility and see if he is still there...(the kid I know, not the one you know).

Nettle - Even the worst of us can one day surprise those around them.

Kris - They seem like they turned out pretty good...obviously you did a lot of things right.

Gerb - That's one of the good things about making mistakes, isn't it?

Dani - I know that I have too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...