Wednesday, April 30, 2008

You've got readers

Pin It “I like to start my notes to you as if we're already in the middle of a conversation. I pretend that we're the oldest and dearest friends — as opposed to what we actually are, people who [probably] don't know each other's names and met [through blogging which be both claimed we’d never done] before.”

I love “You’ve got Mail.”

This is an entertaining movie...which I’ve watched numerous times. Tonight, a friend of mine and I were chatting online, and I began to wonder about those out there who come to this blog on a regular basis…some of you who leave comments, and others who do not. Some of you I’ve met, while others remain safely anonymous.

You clearly have me at a disadvantage.

In fact, yesterday I encountered someone who began to talk to me about a few items which I knew we hadn’t discussed before. I was a bit taken aback and began to go through this mental process…trying to figure out just how this person knew all of these elaborate details about events in my life. Finally, I found myself defeated and had to inquire, “Look, how do you know this about me? After all, I’m pretty sure that we’ve never told you about these things.”

To this the person replied, “I read your blog.”

Very powerful words.

Do you realize just what that statement means? I do. I, in essence, was being told that my blog, my site, my random thoughts and what-nots, were worth the contemplation and time of another. In other words, I was readworthy.

I do not take this lightly. In fact, I found myself flattered that someone else takes the time to read my words on a regular basis…kind of like those junkies who TIVO episodes of American Idol or LOST.

So, then comes the question…why? Would I read my blog if I were somebody else? Interesting…very interesting.

I guess I don’t really want an answer. I just want to send this cosmic question out into the void. So goodnight, dear void.

(Just as a side note, there are several references and lines from You’ve Got Mail contained in this post. Let it be known that no copyright, fraud, or plagiarism was intended…thanks for not suing me Nora).

8 comments:

Julie said...

This blog is definately "readworthy."
Here is another great movie quote for you...let me know if you figure it out. :)

"Maybe I was a little confused, maybe I was a little frustrated, but I knew what I was doing was important..."

Cari said...

I was at one of Cole's band concerts and this lady came up to me and said, "Cari, is it you?" I'd never seen this woman in my life and I was a little freaked out. Come to find out, she read my old blog (may it rest in peace) and recognized me. It was kind of flattering but more freaky.

I too have that same thing happen to me where someone has said that they read it on my blog. I can totally see why people would want to read your blog. It's very "readworthy". Mine, not so readworthy.

Farscaper said...

I must admit that I am typically a lurker. Lurking is fun. I feel like I'm spying on someone without their knowledge... forget the fact that you've posted words on a public forum for the entire world to laugh, cry or sigh with you.

Keep up the good work. You're better than the dumb ol soap operas anyday. (I quit watching those when I was 18 BTW - too tedious and predictable). You on the other hand... are not predictable nor tedious.

We are now back to our regularly scheduled lurking.

Unknown said...

Ok so I'm an A&M of D L addict! And always will be!

Kathy said...

Z-Bot,
You have got to be one of the best story tellers I have ever met, whether it be in person or on paper. You make any life situation more interesting!!! I still think you should write books, hey you could be the next John Grisham!!! Also, I think you should do what Julie (on your blog) did, and throw out a quote from a movie and see who can come up with the title. I happen to know the movie Julie quoted, I have it and love it!!! I will not give away the answer and spoil it for you, but I am going to throw a quote at you and you have to guess what movie it came from. Here goes: "When I told my mother I was getting married to my wife, her intestines exploded. You tell them the truth now, you may as well shoot grandma."
Good Luck!!! Have a groovy day!
Love you, Kathy

Danielle said...

You write so well, we HAVE to read! ;)
And its so interesting to see that you're not ALL about making fun of people and giving them such a hard time, like when I was little! ;)
Kidding....I have many wonderful memories! :D

annette said...

You do have a gift for words, as well as for making LOTS of friends and fans.

I was going to say, maybe you'll be famous someday. But, I think you already are.

Teachinfourth said...

Jewels - I'd have to say that one of my favorites from that particular movie is, "I understand that you little guys start out with your woobies and you think they're great... and they are, they are terrific. But pretty soon, a woobie isn't enough. You're out on the street trying to score an electric blanket, or maybe a quilt. And the next thing you know, you're strung out on bedspreads Ken. That's serious. "

Cari - It is, indeed, freaky.

Farscaper - You have me at a disadvantage...however, one day I will discover your secret identity. Until then, feel free to "lurk" away.

Kris - I'm glad you keep coming back.

Sista "C" - It's always great to find out you've been here! Thanks for the compliment as well...I'm working on a few projects right now--and I should really get my tail in gear for any of them to go anyplace other than straight into the ground.

BTW, it's from the same show as this: "I'd say that she gets under your skin as soon as you meet her. She drives you so nuts you don't know whether to hug her or, or just really arm wrestle her. She would go all the way to Europe just to get a stamp in her passport. I don't know if that amounts to insanity, or just being really, really... likable."

Dani - I'm glad you keep coming back too...I'll try hard to be a bit nicer too.

Nettle - It all in the eyes of the beholder, right? I will admit, I am pretty popular when it comes to second graders...now if I could just get that "awe" to transfer to women...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...