Sunday, August 3, 2008

Photography Webiste - Update

Pin It
For starters, I know…

I know that I said my photography website would be online in about two or three weeks…I’ve already surpassed that timeframe by…well, I’ve surpassed it.

There is a lot more to getting it online in the form I would like than I thought at first; this, unfortunately, has made the time frame stretch longer than I’d anticipated at the outset. Also, writing has taken a backseat to photography at this point…there simply is not enough time to do everything I would like to do.

Maybe if I didn’t have to sleep.

I wanted to thank all of you who offered up resources for the site…places to get code, people to work on it, 3rd party groups who’d add things in. I decided to go with a friend’s recommendation of her husband who does this sort of thing for a living. We met yesterday and went over all of the details involved and it is my hope that the site will be online in a few more weeks.

It will be worth it…trust me.

Well, I hope it will be worth it, but you know, I am immensely biased when it comes to this thing having poured my blood, sweat, and mega pixels into it for the past month. However, since I am not able to show you the site at the present time, I thought I’d placate you with a few photos from my southern Utah trip a few weeks ago...


A few people asked how I was able to get images of petroglyphs so early or late in the day with such good lighting and the answer is: slow shutter speeds and a flashlight to ‘paint’ in the image the way you want it.
I share an example of myself with my car at about 10:00 p.m. You can see where I ‘painted in’ the car—as well as myself—with my headlamps; though I admit that it would have been far easier had I taken a decent flashlight with me.






This last shot I call, Holy Horse Dung! Mostly this is because of the way the sunlight slanted down and illuminated this solitary road apple.


I know, it looks delicious.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

The last picture is one Josh would love...They do have books with pictures of poop all dressed up. mmmm IDEA!

Emily said...

That one of the road and the clouds looks like the logo for the Bruckheimer films!!

summer said...

My favorite pictures that you have shown from your trip down south are of the places that are now abandoned. I like to wonder about what they were like in the "prime of their life" so to speak..who lived there or frequented there, what memories were made there, and what the stories are behind the place. Very intriguing - especially when you show the view from out the window. I really love that effect.

Michelle said...

Okay so now I see what you meant about the road and clouds picture, I really like it, and by the way we miss you!:(

Teachinfourth said...

Kris - Well, he's got taste.

Emmy - Really? I haven't seen it before (I don't think) but if it looks like my photo, it must be pretty cool!

LoS - I have often wondered the same thing. At one of the houses I found an old registry of sorts with financial information...some of it dated back to the 40s or 50s. Really interesting. I'd have probably looked at it more but there was an awful lot of bird crud everywhere.

Monk - Diddo...

Gerb said...

Just had to say, that last picture looks like a pile of crap. Literally! (I know, because it IS...okay, maybe it's not so funny.)

annette said...

I love the colors in the 2nd petroglyph pic. The complementary colors really make this picture.

Teachinfourth said...

Gerb - I wanted to name it "holy crap" but I didn't want to offend anyone...thanks for breaking the proverbial ice.

Nettle - I love that one too. That's the Rochester Panel which is out by way of the booming metropolis of Moore, Utah. The panels there are worth the distance you have to go to get there (not strenuous hiking...but rather an expensive drive from the land northward).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...