Thursday, August 21, 2008

Good attitude from middle school

Pin It When I was in middle school I remember seeing a saying on the wall. It was right as you reached the main level of the buildings through the front doors. It read: “Life is 10% what happens to us, and 90% how we react to it.”

Those words have come back to me recently…I’m not sure why after so many years have passed from the time I walked those hallways in my youth. However, came back to me they did.

As I thought about them yesterday before I went to bed, and again this morning when I awoke, I decided to do a little investigative research. I found that this particular quote is very similar to a part of a quote by Charles R. Swindoll, an American author and minister. An expanded version of his quote reads thus:

“The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failure, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company... a church... a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice everyday regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it. And so it is with you... we are in charge of our Attitudes.”

Words of wisdom to live by.

9 comments:

Cari said...

You know, I couldn't agree more. I'm guessing that the past couple days haven't been the greatest? Hope today is better! :)

Gerb said...

I try to instill this in my kids - it's a great way to look at life. It has been especially poignant to me recently.

Anonymous said...

I think I need to remember that saying more often. Thanks for passing it along!
KJ

annette said...

Amen.
Attitude, and a good sense of humor, make all the difference.

Farscaper said...

Ok... Hope you don't mind but I copied that and sent it on to a bunch of family and friends. Just an awesome quote and a very intelligent man.

For years I have heard people say "you choose to react that way" and it just made me say "grrrrr". I thought, "I didn't choose to be mad.. you made me mad!!!" The way this man put it into perspective takes away the finger pointing that I felt is there in the "you choose" statement.

Thanks for sharing that glimmer of light.

grinNberrett said...

my swim coach would always say the following to us:

"Your attitude determines your altitude."

I never really understood why he would tell us that. It finally dawned on me that we are the creators of our life path's and that our attitude will ultimately determine with path we take. A path will have its ups and downs, but out attitude is what will determine our altitude on that path. A positive attitude will carry us through the low paths while a negative attitude will keep us on the low path.

You are a very wise man and I really enjoy your insight on life. Thanks for your altitude. :)

jacs said...

i'll give you my two faves again..

Finish each day and be done with it. you have done what you could, some blunders and absurdities have crept in; forget them as soon as you can. tomorrow is a new day, you shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense. emerson (this is my fave because you are never the same person today that you were yesterday. you can't change what has happened-but you can make an effort to do it differently tomorrow. if you only focus on all the negative things that happen in your life or what you wish you could change, how can you ever move on to become the best person you can be? every day starts with a clean slate, fix the things that can be fixed and move on from the things that cant)

if a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away. thoreau (that one is my fave because it justifies everything about me! but it is what i've taught my kids their whole life--it's ok to go against the flow. it doesn't make someone wrong or bad it just makes them different. and even if you don't agree or can't see the reason behind the choice it doesn't diminish their importance or their right to be the person they choose to be. give what you would like to get.)
the responsibility or blame for your happiness lies with you alone. every day is a choice. so ask yourself, do i feel lucky? ( i SO couldn't help that!) seriously- are you choosing to be happy? or miserable? you have all the power and only you can change the answer.

summer said...

it's been a long time since i've visited. you have been up to a lot - typical, it is you afterall. i have thouroughly enjoyed the reading - the outward laughs and the 'aha' moments as well. as always with your writing, life...all of it...well done my friend.

Teachinfourth said...

Cari - Life is but a learning experience, is it not? I am learning that my attitude can make all the difference.

Gerb - I'm with you.

JK - You betcha!

Nettle - I second that 'amen!'

Farscaper - The Internet is just another way to share information...copy away!

I used to feel the same way as you...it's amazing what a few years of maturity can do.

G&B - Your coach sounded like a very smart man. I would love to have had him in HS. I had a few teachers who were a bit more of the 'glass half empty' or... 'What? there's a glass?'

Thanks for stopping in.

Jacs - I still love both of those! Thanks for 'reminding' me yet again!

LoS - Glad to have had the chance to chat a bit with you again the other day...it has been awhile!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...