Sunday, July 3, 2011

Happy TeachinFOURTH of July 2011

Pin It

When I was a kid the Fourth of July was all about Fireworks.

It was about school being out and the long, lazy days of summer stretching out before me; it was about trips to the river with inner tubes in the back of the station wagon and cousins coming to visit for days on end.


The Fourth of July was about family reunions and camping out in the backyard in tents. It was about roasting hot dogs over campfires in the early evening as the smoke from the bonfire drifted lazily through the yard. It was burning marshmallow torches and running through the forest and screaming like banshees. It was a time of night games and insect bites. It was watching shooting stars and making wishes that never quite seemed to come true.

The Fourth of July was standing in front of the makeshift roadside stands with a few dollars I’d been saving for months on end clutched in hand. It was gazing at the rows of brightly packaged pyrotechnics arranged before me, just waiting their time to set the skies ablaze.


The Fourth of July was about blowing up cowpies with my longtime friend, Jess. This was—by far—one of the greatest and little-known pastimes of all. We’d see how close we could get to the bovine pastries and still not get nailed by the flying shrapnel when the crater was blown from the varied meadow muffins we encountered. The fresher the better, and juicy was all about the splatter.

If Jess was icked more then I…well, then life was good.

The Fourth of July was homemade popsicles and sitting the front slab, with the sticky stuff running down your chin and forearms. It was all about sunburns and snickering with friends at those crazy Laffy Taffy jokes until our sides ached.


That was the Fourth of July when I was a child.

But now that I’m older, I realize that the Fourth of July is so much more.


The fourth of July is about freedom. It’s about sacrifice. It’s about the men and women who fought for the rights we have today. It’s about the day we celebrate our independence from England. It’s the day we commemorate the nation we live in and love.


The Fourth of July is all of these things; it is the celebration of the past and the present…and one day it will be the celebration of the future, wherein it will become many more things as well…



Happy TeachinFOURTH of July to you…



You might also want to try Sweet Shot Tuesdays, Show off Your Shot, Your Sunday Best, This or That Thursday, and Community Global for other great photo memes.

23 comments:

Karen M. Peterson said...

For as long as I can remember, the 4th of July was about running one of those makeshift roadside stands to raise money for my youth group. This is the first year since I was 5 or 6 that our booth hasn't overtaken my holiday.

The 4th of July has a new and profound meaning for me this year. And I'll be celebrating with hot dogs at the baseball game. But I won't forget the meaning of this great and important day.

mamahasspoken said...

So many memeories that are similar to mine! Only thing that's missing are fire flies, sparklers, and setting bottle rockets off out of your hand.
Yes I grew up a red neck......

Michelle said...

What a lovely post!

Laura said...

That last photo is priceless, love it! Happy 4th!

Teachinfourth said...

Karen - I hope you enjoy this holiday with people you love.

Bonnie - I'd forgotten about setting off bottle rockets from our hands. Mom never appreciated that, but it was Dad and uncles who showed us how to do it.

Michelle - Thanks. The photos were taken last night. I'm pretty proud of the sparkler shot as I'd never tried something like that before; the boy was solely lit up by the light of the firework.

Laura - I added a few other photos at the end so I know that your comment references the shot of the boy with the mouth wide open and bright eyes. He is a live wire and a lot of fun.

Stacey said...

Amazing post. Thanks for the inspiration!

Richard & Natalie said...

Way to capture the complete essence of the 4th- both with your words and wonderful images. Love them! :)

Rebecca said...

what lovely memories you have of the fourth...have a happy one

Everyday Life

Connie said...

Your photos are splendid! Love them all!
Your memories bring back so many of my own. I too appreciate the freedoms, the sacrifice and the promises of this great land.

Happy Fourth to you!

wendy said...

I love the play on words..TeachinFOURTH of July.

seriously, Bovine Pastries. I have never heard of anyone doing that, but I can see how BOYS would find that amusing.
I'll send some of the lovely country crap your way if you like.
Got plenty to share.

fourth of July was wonderful through a childs eyes...and now, as we grow older, we smile, for a lot deeper reasons.

Pam said...

Fabulous photos. Loved them all!

tammy said...

Blowing up cowpies....that made me laugh!

4 Lettre Words said...

You are so very talented. (With more than the camera, I'm sure.) These are truly amazing...on an emotional level.

Gotta follow along!

Yanet @ 3 Sun Kissed Boys said...

Oh just GORGEOUS shots!!! This post is a feast to the eyes!

Ashley Sisk said...

Way too many great captures and I'm loving your blog. I'll be following and can't wait to see more!

shellycoulter said...

What fun pictures!

Anonymous said...

I love the face painted face flag!! Great pictures. I feel the same, the older I get the more I focus on what the Fourth really means. We, as a nation, I hope are getting back to the true meaning or at least more appreciation. Great photos, really really nice.

CB said...

Beautiful words, beautiful pictures, beautiful post! Thank you.

Unknown said...

Love all of those photos! I really like your style and variety of poses. They just capture the day!

Unknown said...

It is about so much more, isn't it? The pictures are magnificent. As always.

Leslie Taylor said...

Your pictures are AMAZING!!!

Kathy said...

Funny how I'm seeing your memories as I read this post. Thanks for reminding me of all those times with family. We have a big one.
I have a whole new respect for this holiday as we began seeing VA patients a few months ago. I thank each one for their service.
Love the sparkler shot!

Anonymous said...

Isn't it interesting when we make that shift from fireworks to freedom? Why does that process seem to accelerate when we become parents? :) Beautiful photos.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...