Thursday, July 21, 2011

Essence of the Nitrate Stick

Pin It
Though hot dogs have been around for quite some time, historians have yet to nail down their true origins. Yet, the stories of where they came from are most certainly interesting, whether you believe they originated from Homer’s brief reference in the Odyssey to the sausage, the ascription given to German butcher, Hohann Georghehner who lived in the late 1600s as being the creator, or even the attribution of their invention as happening at the Louisiana Purchase Exposition in 1904—the St. Louis World’s Fair. Wherever the birthplace of these little beauties, I still find that they taste incredibly awesome.

Speaking of franks, did you know that it wasn’t all that long ago that I was visiting a few friends down in Green River? I’d brought along a few gourmet bologna ponies from the land northward and was out placing these on the grill. I watched them hiss as they hit the barbecue with a sizzle. As the package emptied, I found myself gazing at the juice of these footlongs, still saturating my fingertips. Not wanting to wipe them on my cargos, I instead licked my fingers—not having a paper towel handy.

As the sweetened nectar of these durgers tantalized my taste buds, I realized just how delicious this stuff really was. I glanced at the plastic packaging; there was probably a quarter cup of that sweet essence in the bottom of the hot dog container, just waiting to be appreciated.

I thought about it.

Man, if only I'd had a straw.

I thought how this stuff’d make a wonderful popsicle; hot dog juice flavored frozen delights for a hot summer’s day. Why hadn’t anyone thought of this before?

Pure, unadulterated deliciousness.

I thought about drinking the remaining juice right from the package then and there. After all, I was thirsty, too. Well, that’s about the time everyone else started to come outside bringing the rest of the food for dinner.

I rapidly changed my mind and tossed the package in the trash.

Curses.

Maybe one day...


On a side note, of the facts below, all are true save one...if you want to guess which in the comments, feel free to do so. If not, that's okay as well. You can see the answer yourself by highlighting the section that says, "answer" at the bottom to reveal the lie in all of the truth.

1. The most popular condiment for kids with hot dogs is ketchup, while with adults it’s mustard.

2. The world’s biggest hot dog was 1,996 feet in length and was created by the Sara Lee Company for the Olympics in 1996.

3. The most expensive hot dog in the world was made my Joe Calderone and was sold for nearly $70. It featured not only truffle oil, but duck foie gras, and truffle butter as well.

4. By utilizing tongs or a spatula instead of a fork while grilling, your Dodger Dog loses far less moisture while cooking and all of those succulent juices.

5. Hot dogs are briefly featured in every Meg Ryan film—with the exception of one.

6. The hot dog was approved by NASA as a regular food item on space and shuttle flights.

7. On average, Americans consume 818 hot dogs per second in the United States.

8. The first words Mickey Mouse ever uttered in a cartoon were “hot dogs.”

9. Los Angeles residents consume more hot dogs than any other city.

Answer: #5 At least, not that I know of...

Images borrowed shamelessly from here and here.

19 comments:

Cheeseboy said...

I totally would have gagged had I seen you try and drink that stuff. And seriously, I'll eat anything - and I mean anything.

My 9 year old son just had his FIRST ever hotdog like a week ago. He's had 6 since! No joke. He had no idea what he was missing.

mCat said...

Balogna ponies.....love it.

And I kind of thought I was the only human still out there that loves a good hot dog! Even love the ones from the gas station...rolling around and around...mmmmm

Leah Z said...

Your description of the hot dog juice reminded me of this commercial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf8egZtvO1E

And I nailed the quiz! It was your love for You've Got Mail that tipped me off.

Kristina P. said...

I really love a good hot dog. Sonic has an amazing Chicago Dog right now.

Yanet @ 3 Sun Kissed Boys said...

I am going to guess that the Meg Ryan film hot dog feature is untrue.

Hey, you did a post on hot dogs without using the word wiener once! That's impressive!

Yanet @ 3 Sun Kissed Boys said...

Oh and what a clever way to disguise the answer. That's impressive too!

Oilfield Trash said...

This was a great post. I learned quite a bit from it.

Although I disagree about mustard though.

Sierra @ Sierra's View said...

The question is...WHICH Meg Ryan film does not include a hot dog? And who ultimately realized this fact?! Pure genius. Or pure boredom. Haha.

Karen M. Peterson said...

There is NO better place on Earth to eat a hot dog than in a seat at Angels Stadium.

Heidi said...

Oh Jason, Jas, J, JZ, Mr.Z, weirdy, weirdo.....

I just don't know what to think after reading this.

There is a part of me that smiles at you finding such joy in something simple, and at the mental image of you about to slurp up juices from an empty package, looking like a homeless guy....

And then there's the part of me that wants to hurl at the thought of "hot dog water popsicles"....



Alright. Leaving now.

p.s. Your little quiz thingy...I guessed #5, hahahaha! (For reals though, I did.)

mamahasspoken said...

Ah a good wiener is great any time day or night.
Sorry just had to get that punt in there.....

Connie said...

I like hotdogs but I've NEVER had a desire to drink the juice. I must not be a purist.
Interesting facts about hotdogs. I thought it was #2 until I cheated.

Shawna said...

Yes!!!! I guessed right!

You're right though.... hot dogs can be downright amazing.... I am partial to Nathans right now (del-ic-ous, but expensive). I am not so sure though on the doggy juice popsicle.... I think I will leave that one for you to enjoy.

Alyssa S. said...

OK, you are officially guilty of making me want a hot dog. Like right now. If I had to guess, I find it hard to believe all of the salad eaters in LA would consume more hot dogs than anywhere else. I'd think it would be New York City.

Rachel said...

Sick! Nasty! Gross!

Unless it's a Kosher dog :) I think hot dogs are disgusting.

I used to like them..... not so much anymore. Unless as I say, it is a Kosher beef dog.

How it is I like bologna and not hot dogs...... hmmmm...... maybe I should try a hot dog raw. Maybe that is the trick.

No thanks!

Pedaling said...

I eat about one hotdog a year.
My husband on the other hand...he eats about 2 a week. both at the same sitting.

Richard & Natalie said...

Ugh. I just experienced something I've never experienced while reading a blog post- dry heaving. If you were looking to gross me out, job well done. I love me a good dog, but the juice in the bag...entirely off limits. Especially in popsicle form!

I was thinking #2, but totally should have been tipped off with the Meg Ryan reference.

Gerb said...

I love me a good hot dog - but the 'juice'? Pardon me while I vomit.

Mindy said...

Those were some good hot dogs!

Had we known we were interrupting your communion with the bologna ponies, we would have stalled a bit longer to leave you time to savor their delectable juices... maybe.... :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...