Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Media of the Week - The Deathly Hallows...Literally

Pin It

I will never forget – well over a dozen years ago – when I bought the first Harry Potter book and read it.

At first it felt like a story fit for the name of Roald Dahl…for the first twenty or thirty pages, but then it quickly changed into something else: something I’d never read before.

I. loved. it.

I enjoyed this then little-known story so much that I bought copies for my sister and brother for Christmas that year; you’d never seen such disappointed looks on both their faces – which they both quickly tried to mask behind the obligatory, “Oh, this is great” and “Hey, I can’t wait to read this.”

In reality they both wanted to throw the book in my face and scream something like, “A children’s book? It’s Christmas and you go out and buy me a CHILDREN’S book? What in the heck kind of lame sauce brother are you anyway giving out a stupid gift like this at Christmas?”

Oh, how after reading they soon ate their words.

It ended up being one of the greatest gifts of all time.

Strange little friend, that thing called perspective…

I can remember a year or three later, my brother and I were reading the next few publications of the books during our college years in our apartment, each of us reading a different story and yet having some amazing discussions about the plot lines, characters, and our varied epiphanies about the people in them.

Boy, those were the good old days.

Which now brings me to the end of an era, a period of life where – like the final book of a few years ago – the final movie is now upon us.

The proverbial closing of yet another chapter in my life.

Has Harry Potter affected me?

To be honest, I find it hard to think of a world without Harry, Hermione, and Ron in it. A world without Hogwarts. A world without Dumbledore. A world without even Voldemort existing somewhere inside of it.

Has J.K. Rowling affected my life? Just like a horcrux.


By the way, it appears that Mindy and Justin were the two winners of the contest; now if they'd both send me an email letting me know the print they'd like, that would be great. Thanks everybody else for taking part in the contest.


Since Mindy's chosen post was the closest to the top, she is dubbed the first place winner and will therefore get two prints.

P.S. Tell you what, just because I'm cool like this...the first person's post to show up in the widget before midnight on Friday will be our third place winner (since we still haven't had one). Be sure to make a comment on the 'contest' post and let me know if yours shows up first. If it is when I check, you'll be our third winner.

Yeah, you're welcome...so now you better go and remind your friends to check your favorite post out.


And just because it made me laugh:

16 comments:

Richard & Natalie said...

I too, will miss our dear Potter. It's sad all good things must come to an end. I'm even more bummed I will be camping during the release and will have to wait to see it. :(

Stacey said...

Harry Potter is a daily token of conversation in our household - it has become a special link between my 9 year old, my 7 year old and me. We have read the books - or are in the middle of them - and have watched the movies countless times. We will be at the movie theater this weekend...and will discuss it for weeks on end...I am excited and sad at the same time.

TisforTonya said...

The Harry Potter books were the first chapter books my eldest son read... he was six... I wouldn't take him to the movie if he hadn't read the books - so he earned it... ten years later it's almost sad to think of walking out of that theatre with him...

a Potter-less world is a bit of a sad thought - really... luckily I have 2 little girls who have yet to read the books so I will get to do this all over again with them :)

Jamie said...

Oh my heavens! Thanks for the Literal laughs! hahaha! Too good. I will admit that I have yet to read all of the books. I've only read the first. (lame I know) Someday! :)

Cheeseboy said...

Interesting, I could never get into Potter, but I feel very similar about the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings which makes me a much bigger dork than you.

I'm sure my son will get into it this year, 4th grade. He's the personality type that would definitely like it.

DB Stewart said...

Great trailer.
I picked up the first book to read to my daughter and then I was totally hooked. Those books are amazing!

Rhoda said...

love the video's. I'd never seen these "literal" video's before. They're great!

SHELLS BELLS! said...

I love Harry Potter and yes I will be dressing up for the midnight showing this Thursday!

Heidi said...

I am going to be the odd one out here...I've never read the books!

I am pretty sure I committed a cardinal potter sin by watching deathly hallows part 1 after only seeing the first 3 movies...oops!

Commence stone throwing.

P.S. Speaking of literal trailers....this one is my FAVORITE!
http://youtu.be/UCmeQaXuFig

Karen M. Peterson said...

I'm such a sap that I can't watch trailers for the last movie without getting all weepy. I had the same problem when I read the last book.

My Harry Potter post is coming Thursday. You know. Before I go to the midnight show.

And those literal videos never fail to crack me up.

Mindee@ourfrontdoor said...

Harry Potter is amazing. I love the books so much that I won't see the movies. I want the pictures in my head to stay just the way they are. :)

A Lark said...

Great literal videos - thanks for sharing!

Laura said...

There is something in my brain that will never understand the mania or fascination with HP, Twilight, etc. That being said, these trailers far outshine even the idea of the books or movies to me! Thanks for the laughs!! :)

Anonymous said...

I was teaching 4th grade when my students started reading Harry Potter in 2000. I read it, to see what my students were reading. I fell in love. I am both excited and a bit melancholy about the very last movie coming out.

jenn said...

you had a contest. AND I MISSED IT? suckage!!!

Natasha in Oz said...

Love that harry Potter clip! Some people are so clever!

Best wishes for a wonderful week!
Natasha @ 5 Minutes Just for Me

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...