Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Moments with Joey – Blowing in the Wind

Pin It

SCENE 1, INTERIOR. MORNING, CLASSROOM. The class is correcting their math assignments. As they do, the teacher notices one boy who has no work for one of the world problems on his page. Since the students are required to show their work for credit, the teacher points to the problem on the assignment.

TEACHER: How did you get your answer for this problem, Joey?

[The boy looks up in mild surprise].

JOEY: The wind told me.

[Pause].

TEACHER: The wind?

[The boy nods].

TEACHER: Ah, so you got that whole Pocahontas thing going on, don’t you?

JOEY: Yep.

[Pause].

TEACHER: So...have you ever heard the wolf cry to the blue corn moon? Or asked the grinning bobcat why he grinned? I mean, can you sing with all the voices of the mountains?

JOEY: Yeah, pretty much; [pause] but only when the wind tells me to...

[Fade to black].



Secret note passed in class to you: With the ending of this past school year, you might have thought that Moments with Joey would end, too; well, they didn’t. I was searching around for something today and came across a slew of moments from this past year I’d written up, tucked away, and never published.


Instead of waiting until the fall to run them, I thought that this is as good of a time as any. Joey never fails to bring a smile to my face…I hope he does to yours, too.


Man, but I miss that kid.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww...

But every year a new Joey, or maybe even a new Josephine, comes along.

Leah Z said...

You always say the kind of things that I wish had said when I finally think of them 20 minutes later. I don't know how you are able to respond with a straight face. These kids are so smart!

Emmy said...

Well how can you argue with that?

Kalei's Best Friend said...

Joey would be my 4th child.. He could keep any adult young... :-)

mamahasspoken said...

Ah Joey, he can bring a smile to my face every time. Though he better watch this as he gets older. Replies like his can get him 24 hours for observation at a local mental health establishment ;o)

Tracy P. said...

It takes a true teacher to miss that kid--and even want to pay him a visit--in the summer. Love that! Came from iheartfaces a couple weeks ago to see your amazing balloon pics, but found an awesome read too. Thanks, from a teacher-turned-mom.

Stacey said...

Your 5th grade Joey has a kindred spirit across the US in my 2nd grade daughter. Always makes me smile!

Heidi said...

Impressive knowledge of the Disney lyrics Mr. Z...

So does this mean Pocahontas cheated her way through 5th grade math? (Since the wind likes to answer problems, apparently.) ;)

Glad you shared this moment. Looking forward to the others. :)

tammy said...

This made me laugh.

Man, don't you just love kids?

Mindee@ourfrontdoor said...

I wish I had had a wind like that when I was taking math.

Connie said...

So glad to see another Joey post.

Not only is he creative with his answers, you know the words to your songs!

How is it some kids can just worm their way into our hearts and we mourn that last day of school?

Bibi @ Bibi's Culinary Journey said...

Awww.....how I missed Joey. He does have certain something that makes people smile....he's hilarious.

Rebecca said...

Joey is an amzing kid with wonderful possibilities

wendy said...

That was a great one. I think up here I HAVE heard the wolf cry to the blue corn moon (or at least the Hay Fields)
Good ol' Joey, how can you not love these stories.

Crystal Pistol said...

Joey is wonderful. I just want to hug him up! :) kids are the best.

mCat said...

Love me the Joey!! And now I have that damn Pocohontas song in my head :)

The Watty's said...

Nice to catch up on Joey...hope you are enjoying the summer as it is whizzing by. Doing much shooting? Enjoy!

Natasha and Jesse said...

I missed Joey. Now I have that song stuck in my head!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...