Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Moments with Joey – Fortunes

Pin It

SCENE 1, INTERIOR. NOON, CLASSROOM. The room is silent as the teacher eats his lunch alone, enjoying a few moments of solitude. As he uses his chopsticks to eat his teriyaki chicken, the classroom door opens. A fifth grade boy sees him and immediately moves across the room with a huge smile on his face and is obviously very excited. He sits down at the table across from his teacher.

JOEY: Mr. Z, did you open your fortune cookie yet?

[The teacher glances down to the plastic-encased cookie sitting on his lunch tray].

TEACHER: Um, no…not yet. Why?

[The boy leans in and whispers].

JOEY: Because. fortunes. are. awesome. And they come true too…but only if you eat them after reading.

[The teacher does a double take].

TEACHER: Did you just say you eat them?

[The boy nods his head with a grin].

JOEY: Yep, if you eat them, they come true; it always works.

TEACHER: And just where did you hear this?

JOEY: Everybody knows it…and it works too!

TEACHER: Really?

JOEY: Yep, my last fortune said, “You will meet new people.”

[Pause].

TEACHER: ...and did you meet new people?

JOEY: Yep, the very next day.

TEACHER: [Mildly sarcastic] Wow, imagine the chances of that happening…

JOEY: Yeah, I know; isn’t it awesome?

[Pause].

TEACHER: Joey, I just have to ask…were they cool people?

[The boy gets a bemused look on his face as he thinks back].

JOEY: Actually, they weren’t…

TEACHER: So you ate a fortune and it was granted, but it wasn’t a good one. Well, to me it sounds like you got a little bit ripped off, to be honest.

[Pause].

JOEY: Yeah, but sometimes fortunes are awesome.

TEACHER: Well, this is way too much of a gamble for my liking…maybe you’d better take mine.

[The teacher hands the fortune cookie to the boy who tears off the plastic and snaps the cookie in half. He gently takes the fortune from the broken cookie straightens the slip of paper].

TEACHER: So, what’s your fortune?

JOEY: [Reading with a monotone voice]. Your luck will soon be at a high point...


TEACHER: Well, Joey…maybe you’ll meet some cool people after all…

[Pause].

JOEY: Actually, it’s your fortune, Mr. Z…and you just did.

[The boy grins and holds the fortune out to the teacher who smiles back].

TEACHER: Well, I guess it’s a good thing I didn’t eat it…

[The boy and the teacher both break into laughter].

[Fade to black].

12 comments:

Stef said...

That's so funny. I think they need better fortunes in those things, personally.
Then they might actually be worth eating.

Richard & Natalie said...

Confucius say- That Joey a quick one.

Except the part about eating the fortunes, of course.

Anonymous said...

Love that boy!

Hey, thanks for the help with the music. I can't wait to inspire these monkeys for another year. =)

Kalei's Best Friend said...

THAT Joey, is something else!. He's got your number for sure, dude!. LOL

Karen M. Peterson said...

The best fortune I ever got said, "You love Chinese food." And I was like, "Wow! That's amazing because I totally DO!"

I can't imagine what might have happened if I'd eaten that fortune...

Rachel said...

That is my problem! I never eat them. I always give them to Brian after I read them. (In your words.... CURSES). :D

Shannon said...

This eating of fortunes is a completely new concept to me...but I'm pretty sure I won't be trying it anytime soon. I would gladly arrange to mail all of my fortunes to Joey, though.

Teachinfourth said...

S - There are times I think that the 'fortunes' are more or less good/average advice.

N - Sometimes a bit too quick.

KBF - Yeah, I miss that kid.

J - I hated to see him leave my class...I hope the songs work out for you, too!

K - I think you'd love it even more than you already do! Good thing you didn't eat it, you'd be out of control...

OT - If I could have kept him around for another year, I'd have done it in a heartbeat.

R - Maybe in the future you should start eating the good fortunes?

S - If he liked them, I guarantee that he'd consume them...

CB said...

That is funny!

I have to admit that I always make up my fortunes when I am in a restaurant with my kids - they think I am amazing - Ha ha!

Rebecca said...

joey is one of kind and he totally rocks in my book

mCat said...

Love me a good fortune AND the cookie.

Can't wait to see what Joey emerges from THIS school year!

Yanet @ 3 Sun Kissed Boys said...

Fortunes ARE awesome! And maybe tasty too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...