Thursday, October 30, 2008

Leaves

Pin It
I park under a cluster of maple trees each day in the parking lot across from my school.

I’ve watched the color of their leaves change little by little each day.

A few days ago, the leaves began to fall.

I found several them inside of my car yesterday because I’d left the sunroof open.

Today, as I walked to my car, I found myself wading in a dry, crunchy sea of rust, orange, magenta, and amber. Words just can’t express how much I love the sound they make as I stir through them—like etchings of memory on the tablets of time.

I remembered crawling into piles of these leaves when I was a boy and finding a candy bar some unlucky trick-or-treater had dropped while cutting through our yard the night before. Ah yes, the leaves bring back good memories.

As I climbed into my car, I looked at a few of these lone travelers who’d found refuge on my windshield. I took their picture before sending them whisking away yet again into the autumn winds.

3 comments:

shoezimm said...

I, too, love the sound of leaves crunching underfoot. I think there is a child in all of us that still wants to jump in a pile of leaves no matter how old we get.

Fall....leaves.....pumpkins....its a shame that many people overlook the simple beauty of this season because they are too busy mourning the end of summer.

I love fall.

Anonymous said...

I feel like finding a pile of leaves and burrying myself in them! I haven't done that since I was a kid.
Doesn't that sound like fun?
KJ

annette said...

Beautiful imagery- in word and picture.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...