Tuesday, February 3, 2009

An Homage

Pin It The bowl sat before me, filled with gold and silver.

It wasn’t long before I found myself reaching out, taking one of the golden nuggets into my fingers and examining it carefully. I slowly tore back the golden foil, the other side reflected silver glints of light; the modest, little, auburn piece emerged, like a butterfly from a cocoon.

The ridged edges, reminiscent of the crown of a great king, were fully exposed as the inner silvery foiling fell away, like locks of tinsel.

I held this little treasure in my fingertips as the rich, chocolately smell began to permeate the air and waft towards my nostrils.

As I pulled the waxy paper from the valleys of chocolate, it came away with little fits of resistance. In a few places, the chocolate clung to the paper and remnants of peanut butter were left behind, as if it were a fruit which was not quite ripened yet.

This little coffee-tinted delight began to melt in my fingers.

I popped it into my mouth.

I could feel the rough ridges, but only for a moment as they dissolved into a downy puddle, and the peanut butter mass—whose texture was grainy—felt wonderfully rich coating my tongue.

The twisted and discarded wrapper was left behind, a leftover to a pleasure I must enjoy only every once and again.

Ah, the simplicity of a Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup.

10 comments:

mywest said...

Peanut butter and chocolate...such a wonderful combo of flavor...where did the coffee-tinted delight part come from? Perhaps its been too long since I have had one?

jayne wells said...

I was so happy to see you too!
Super writing! I love those little things. I really love the reeses peanut butter eggs they have at Easter!

Trevor Holms Petersen said...

MMM. I'm craving on now!

K.J. said...

I do love those! They are one of my favorite! Now my taste buds are telling me to stop and pick one up after work and eat it all the way home!

Unknown said...

You had my drooling from the second paragraph! Aw even though I am not suppose to eat chocolate anymore I might have to indulge! Naughty you!

Gerb said...

Ah, Reeses.

Thanks to your post, I just ate 22 of them in one sitting.

And then the bag was empty.

Yancy said...

mywest,
i believe "coffee-tinted" was merely a reference to the color of the chocolate being brown.

teachinfourth,
i had one of those just last night. I TOTALLY know what you mean. Delish!

Bee said...

Gosh, oh mighty, you're making me hungry. I had one of these after school yesterday, and it was so dee-lish! Have you tried turtle chex mix? You might just like it. And thank you for the hug. Hugging you right back. Maybe one day I'll email you the details of our trials and triumphs.

♥Concerned♥ said...

Ahhh, heaven! I was so glad they weren't on the peanut butter recall list!!!!!

Emily said...

I love the way you write about things. I was practically drooling after the second sentence and then had the ultimate craving for them!! You're a genius!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...