Sunday, February 8, 2009

I claimed that I could juggle

Pin It Every year I have my class do a game where they tell something unique or unusual about themselves. I always start off with, “My name is Mr. Z and I can juggle butcher knives.”

I can, really.

I’ve said this for so many years, yet, I haven’t juggled them for an awfully long time.

This past Friday I was invited by a friend to someone’s house—someone I didn’t know. This in itself can be a marathon in social endurance; however, my friend assured me that this family was ‘cool,’ and therefore worthy of visitation.

I was a bit hesitant as I drove across town, my iPod playing an upbeat song, reminding me that I was here to enjoy each and every minute of my life.

When I arrived at said house, I put on an air of excitement—my ‘game face’ if you will—and knocked on the door.

I found myself pleasantly surprised.

The evening was a lot of fun with games such as Scum, and others which I cannot remember the names for.

After playing for a bit, everyone started engaging in the fine art of conversation. It was nice…then, it came up.

I can juggle butcher knives.

I’m pretty sure the host was thinking that I was spinning a tale, and made the offhanded comment, “You know, I’ve got some knives right here.”

I stood and followed him to the kitchen, and selected a few knives which seemed to be about equal in weight and balance. Since they had a wooden floor in the kitchen, I walked calmly to the living room and stood there. Everyone got silent. They were all secretly wondering the same thing I’m sure, “Can he really juggle knives?”

I asked for additional lights to be turned on and others off so that my vision wouldn’t be impeded. I moved to an open area of the living room where no furniture was around. I even took a deep breath, and firmly squared my shoulders.

“Just kidding,” I said with a laugh. “I really can’t juggle.”

A few people exchanged knowing smiles. Of course this guy really didn’t know how to juggle knives. What normal person can do a thing like that?

It was at this point that I threw one of the knives in the air and deftly caught it again.

I can’t express how exciting it was to watch the blade twist in the air, the lights glinting off of the razor-sharp edge. It was as if something which has lain dormant inside of me suddenly flickered into life again.

I threw the carver in the air a second time and caught it—everyone was silent.

I started to juggle them, the blades and handles spinning in front of me.

I would love to say that I dazzled everyone with double-throws and some of the tricks I used to know, but I didn’t. I do have to say that thought the knives were bright and shiny; I was the one who was rusty.

It’s been so long since I’d juggled. that I wasn’t as good as I once was. Of course, everybody was impressed that I could do it at all, but I knew that I was capable of so much more than what I’d displayed that night.

When I came home I scoured my house, looking for my knives. I haven’t found them yet, but just know this…I soon will and it won’t be long before I have reacquired that slumbering and dormant skill.

By the way, these are a few shots of my 'earlier juggling days' with my friend, Hazen.


5 was the most I could do. I tried for 6, but it never quite worked out.

13 comments:

Cari said...

A man of many talents!

Gerb said...

Awesome. Seriously. Is there anything you can't do?

A Lark said...

Those knives are totally photoshopped in..... (:

Stephen T said...

I've said it before -- 'I want to be just like you when I grow up!'

K.J. said...

That is totally PHYNOMINAL!

Unknown said...

Holy crap! I would cut every finger off! You Rock!

Lydia said...

Who knew Mr. Z tells the truth sometimes.

The Helms Family said...

That is pretty impressive if I do say so myself... Justin said you taught him to juggle. I don't think he can juggle knives though. But that's ok I am glad he can't he might hurt himself. Haha.

Danielle said...

You're so multi-talented! ;)

Trevor Holms Petersen said...

No way, thats flipping awesome!

lisa said...

I'm torn, my friend...I really want to se you do this-I'm just not sure if I want to see you do this in my living room...

Emily said...

Always something surprising and new :)

annette said...

Oh happy day- I wondered if the day would ever come! Now, when you brush up, please video said talent and display so we may all watch with deep respect and awe, okay?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...