Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Scavenger hunts and unfinished classrooms

Pin It As many of you may know, I recently changed schools. While this may not seem like a big deal, it is to those involved. I must be honest when I say that I am finding myself excited for a new year, a new class, new families, new curriculum, and a new staff. But I’d be dishonest if I didn’t say that I was a bit apprehensive as well about the whole "new" ordeal.

You see, in a sense, I am starting all over again as a new teacher; and still have a classroom to finish putting together (however, that’s tomorrow’s project), so today can still be spent on things such as blogging, preparing baseboards to be reattached to kitchen walls, and tonight’s mystery activity. I’d go into attention-grabbing detail; however, it will undoubtedly make for an interesting read at some other time with an element of mystery left to it.

As I type this, I look at the baseboards which still have to be painted and sanded. I must admit, I’m putting this off as long as I possibly can. Why? Mostly so I can punish myself all day with it…it’s like when your parents sent you to clean your room, and the job that should have taken you only twenty minutes you somehow managed to successfully stretch into hours of torturous punishment

The baseboards can wait. Readers cannot.

As I was saying previously, I am feeling a bit leery with the whole new school year thing. Nightmares have already begun, bouts of depressive anxiety are plaguing me with relentless vigor, and a genuine thrill thinking what the new year holds in store is slowly awakening from the ashes—this alone outweighs the others by far.

During the course of the school year I have a website that I use. Some of you may have frequented this site on occasion, while others remain sadly oblivious to the said site existence. I am here to educate you, and hopefully, you are here to help me out.

But what can I do? I live in ________ and you are clear over in __________, teachinfourth. How is it possible that I can help you this year with your classroom?

I am so glad you asked.

You see, I plan on sending out letters (and perhaps doing a few home visits) on Friday of this week; amongst the items in said letters I have a website scavenger hunt. This is a way for students to familiarize themselves with available online resources, as well as a way for them to have a little bit of fun.

If you would like—and have the time—I have provided a link to my newly-updated website as well as to a PDF of the scavenger hunt I plan to give to my newly-arriving class. If you should find yourself bored over the next day or two, please take the time to complete the hunt, or just poke around the site and let me know what you think.

However, remember that this is an invitation and not an expectation.

By the way, I need feedback by tomorrow.

No pressure.

10 comments:

Meg said...

I did the first 3 questions. I found your email no problem. I have no clue what youre talking about with the Z's and I can type 54 WPM.

Gerb said...

#4 on the SH page has an extra word (one.) at the end of the sentence. And I memorized all of the signs already!

Farscaper said...

Haven't had a chance to look at the scavenger hunt yet. I just wanted to point out that by clicking on "email" at the top bar it leads me to a go daddy email log in screen "____@classroomofchaos.com" with a password needed (or something like that).

I'm just being tired and my brain is going loopy. I'll have to go check out the hunt when I'm awake tomorrow. Site looks nice too. I wish all teachers had even half those resources available to parents. My twins just got a letter from their teacher - seems nice... no link to any web stuff though.

BTW - did you get my note a few posts back about a site you can use to display and sell your picts? I think I tacked it onto the lava tube day.

MindyElias said...

I loved it! Totally interactive...lots of great websites to visit....fabulous!

I really liked all of the info about you......I think that 5th graders are naturally curious of who you are, what you do, etc. This was a perfect way to show them---(especially the pics in the hiking section)

Loved it.............. :)

~me

♥Concerned♥ said...

FYI you need another n in planned in your first sentence on the Meet the Teacher page.

♥Concerned♥ said...

53 WPM...boo :(

Now can you make Skylar a 2nd grader website?

j/k

Your students are lucky to have you

Bee said...

I wish you the best! I started a new school in a new county last year, so I understand the anxiety you're experiencing. This year has been a breeze when it comes to setting everything up.

I do plan on checking out your website and attempting the scavenger hunt, but I may not give you your feedback soon enough:( Although school doesn't officially start for me until Monday, I have to go in EARLY the next couple of days to work on some presentations I'm giving during preplanning week. Duty calls!

Jamie said...

Jason, Ok...I've checked out your school website before, but I actually took a slightly closer look today. Congrats on the Milken award and the teacher of the year award. Those are serious accomplishments. Way to go! I know the congrats is well beyond due, but I feel it still needed to be said. Kudos to you!

Teachinfourth said...

Meg - I clarified what the "Zs" meant after reading your comment...it's now more better.

Gerb - Thanks for catching all of those errors, it was really appreciated!

FS - Sorry, that's only for those who want an email with the @ of classroomofchaos.com

Did you want one?

Mindy - Thanks for the visit. I was going to update those photos, but that page will come down in a few weeks when my new photography page is complete.

J&J - Got it! Thanks...

I could put together a set of links and make a page for him if you've got something in mind. Something kind of fun to have your kids do is
this
. Let me know what you think.

Bee - Thanks for looking at it, I'm always willing to get feedback on how it looks/functions. Good luck to you this year!

Jamie - I originally wasn't going to put those links down, but I decided to after all. Just call me humble.

Thanks for the kudos.

annette said...

Okay, my "student to be" finished w/only a little help from me. We could only find one Z that changed. Everything else was fairly well understood and at least my 5th grader was able to do almost all on her own- just needed help in the beginning. She spent about 3 or 4 hrs. all together.

I love that you do this! She is very excited and a bit apprehensive, but that's her personality.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...