Thursday, April 30, 2009

Moments with Joey – The Confession

Pin It
SCENE 1, INTERIOR. AFTERNOON, FIFTH GRADE CLASSROOM. The school day is over. The clock above the dry-erase board reads 4:15. An 11 year-old boy and his teacher sit in a classroom. The boy has just finished his writing and is now starting on his Math homework. He pauses after a few minutes of working on his area and perimeter assignment. He then starts to work again. After a minute he stops. This goes on for a few minutes. Finally, the boy speaks].

JOEY:
Mr. Z?

TEACHER:
Yes?

[The boy looks at his paper for a moment and then back at his teacher].


JOEY:
Did you know that there’s only about five weeks left of school?

TEACHER:
That’s what the office staff keeps telling me.

JOEY:
Well, I was thinking about that last night; I couldn’t sleep.

TEACHER:
So, is this a good thing or a bad thing?

JOEY:
Well…

[The teacher pauses in grading and looks at the boy who is gazing intently at him].


JOEY:
I’m gonna say something; I can’t believe I’m going to say it either.

TEACHER:
Well, maybe you’d better not tell me then, some things are better left unsaid.

JOEY:
Yeah. [Pause]. Well, I’m going to say it anyway. You know, this is the first year I’ve ever had a teacher like you.

TEACHER:
Well, I certainly hope so. I’d hate to think that there were two teachers as good-looking as me running around.

[The boy laughs for a moment and then becomes sober again].


JOEY:
No, seriously. You’re the first teacher I’ve ever had that I’ve ever been able to…well…connect with. The others just didn’t…well, they didn’t understand me.

[The boy stops and remains silent. A beat or two passes. His teacher stops his correcting and looks at the boy who is still staring back intently at him].


JOEY:
You’re more than a teacher to me, Mr. Z. You’re almost like a friend, too…a really good friend. I’m glad that you’ll still be here next year so that I can still come and visit you when I’m in the sixth grade.

[The teacher sits speechless for a moment, and then speaks to the boy].


TEACHER:
Thanks, Joey. Just remember though, I’m your teacher first, and then your friend. You still have to do your homework, too.

JOEY:
That’s okay, Mr. Z. I just wanted you to know.

[Fade to black].

7 comments:

Unknown said...

AW That brought tears to my eyes! You are a very special teacher!

Bee said...

These are the moments that make it all worthwhile!!

Lydia said...

That is why so many parents will follow you any where. We are glad that you are such an amazing teacher. Thank you for truely loving our children and caring about there future.

Gerb said...

I loved this. Thanks for being that kind of teacher. I know my oldest felt the same... did I ever tell you he asked me if we could adopt you as his older brother? And he was totally serious.

Birdeeb said...

I hate asking this, but who are you LOL! I think I knew you in the singles ward, but it has been soooo long! J Zimmerman? That name comes to mind, but then I think...maybe that isn't his name LOL! I am such a dork!

jayne wells said...

Pretty fantastic Mr. Z. If only all children felt that way about their teachers. I'm proud of you.

Linn said...

Once again, LOVE this! PLEASE come and teach my children. I beg you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...