Tuesday, December 23, 2008

The Forklift Snowplow

Pin It All the snow we’ve gotten over the past few days has reminded me of living in Washington, and the storms we’d get there.

As I was readying for the holidays and clearing out some boxes, I came across a Polaroid snapshot of when I was working at Ernst Home Center and at the Newport Cinemas after I graduated from high school.

As I looked at this photo, I could clearly remember that particular winter where it had snowed quite hard, and I was working out in the lumber yard. Unfortunately, people wanting to pick up supplies were not able to get them if they were in a car without four-wheel drive. We, in turn, were forced to carry these items out to them.

Not too much fun in a foot of snow, to be sure.

To help combat this problem I created this little beauty…I called it, “The Forklift Plow.” It worked like magic, and I was able to clear the entire back lot.

I guess you could say that I was a hero that day.

I could sure use that plow again right now…

9 comments:

Danielle said...

You're so innovative!! Heehee
I like the old poloroid

Unknown said...

Um Is that OSHA approved????

mywest said...

A hard rubber tired fork truck....a pallet...and a piece of plywood for a plow blade. Not the best combo but you were a hero using what was avail at the time.... How many times did you get stuck???????

Esther said...

In Spain, concretely, in Barcelona, Mediterranean coast never usually snows. Nor so at least it manages to be that cold that pierces until the bones and that as much I long for. I would like to be able to live a snow-covered landscape like which your you enjoy. And to travel to Washington, already would be incredible! A hug from the Mediterranean paradise.

Stephen T said...

Coming from Texas, we call that 'Aggie Engineering!'

Anonymous said...

I need a snow plow here. I can't believe ALL of the snow.
We shovel and shovel, but it keeps on coming!
I like the picture!

Anonymous said...

The above post was me...I forgot to sign!
KJ

Teachinfourth said...

DS - That's the camera we had at the home center at the time so it was the best thing for the photo.

Kris - Uh...
maybe?

Dad - Surprisingly...only almost twice.

Esther - It is a wonderful place. Right now I would love a little bit of warm weather though...

Stephen - LOL

KJ - I remember my visit and when I parked my car I was sliding down your driveway back into the street. I don't envy the kid (or adult) who has to shovel that thing...

grinNberrett said...

I could have sworn I saw you in that same flannel shirt the other day.....:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...