Monday, December 1, 2008

Something told Teachinfourth...

Pin It Something told the Wild Geese
Rachel Field

Something told the wild geese
It was time to go;
Though the fields lay golden
Something whispered. . . snow.

Leaves were green and stirring,
Berries luster-glossed,
But beneath warm feathers
Something cautioned . . . frost

All the sagging orchards
steamed with amber spice
But each wild breast stiffened
and remembered ice.

Something told the wild geese
it was time to fly.
Summer sun was on their wings
Winter in their cry

As I awoke this morning, I stepped outside and found myself surrounded by a world arrayed of ice crystals - like truckloads of diamond shavings - covering nearly everything. The bitter cold bite of the morning air invigorated my lungs and made me smile.


Though I am not a huge fan of winter, it is wonderful - that time - when autumn and winter meet.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reading your poem made me like winter. I am not a fan of the cold, but reading stuff like that puts it in a new perspective.
KJ

mywest said...

Great poem...but here in the pacific northwest your world of arrayed ice crystals and diamond shavings covering nearly everything along with the bitter cold bite of the morning mean just one thing to me...lets slip and slide to work keeping a aggressive eye out for those who are really out of control. Pull over grandpa and park it echos in the air as I try to make it to work alive... Then the peaceful serenity sitting my my parking space knowing again that grandpa had made it to work!
Don't get old son.

Teachinfourth said...

KJ - I don't like the snow for very long...after the first snowfall and a day or two, I'm ready for the warm weather again...or at least autumn.

Dad - Whoa...glad I live in a safe place where that kind of thing NEVER happens...

Kara said...

One of my favorite poems, glad you discovered it as well! Great minds think alike.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...