Friday, March 28, 2008

It's out of fear

Pin It It seems that nearly always it is the scary thing makes it hard for us to change…you know, that great, big, unknown thing. Why is this? It’s probably because the thing which is the most comfortable is to always stay where and what we are. The scary “unknown” thing could be much better than what we have now, yet, we often cling to that which is known, strictly out of fear.

I believe that this is it that we allow ourselves to remain in a state of “hereness,” too frightened to leave a familiarity for something which could be far greater. The point is, we’ll never know if it will indeed be better lest we try. So, while the safe thing would be to stay the same (maybe not the most comfortable though) but the safest, that which is unknown could offer us countless opportunities.

Such have been my feelings as of late. I don't know how better to say this other than the way Bilbo Baggins did...he had such a way with words:

“It’s a dangerous business, going out your front door. You step onto the road, and if you don’t keep your feet, there’s no knowing where you might be swept off to.”

9 comments:

The UnMighty said...

This post scared me, but I don't know why.

Anonymous said...

If we always do what we've always done, we'll always get what we've always gotten. I think Henry Ford said that.

Unknown said...

Thats why some do not improve them selfs. If only people would not be so critical, we would not be so scared go towards the unknown or unfamiliar.

Gerb said...

Sometimes change brings unexpected, happy surprises. For example, if Harry would have just left Hogwarts, he wouldn't have had to deal with Umbridge anymore. You know what I'm sayin'?

Teachinfourth said...

UM,

I have no response to that.

Tara,

I've heard that someplace else before...thanks for the reminder.

Kris,

I agree. The unfamiliar territory only makes us nervous because we are afraid of messing up whatever it is.

Gerb,

It's a little bit funny, but you're right. Of course, Dumbledore came back and all was well in the end...

summer said...

when does Dumbledore come back....are you serious? I don't think I've read the last book and that is what I missed?!!

Teachinfourth said...

LoS - You really need to read that last book...also, I was speaking about the end of book 5. You did make me laugh though!

annette said...

Every good thing is a leap of faith, isn't it? The greatest leap I have ever taken was having children.

The real question is, is change the right direction? Pray about it. If it feels good, just close your eyes and don't look back!

"You dream of colors that have never been made,
You imagine songs that have never been played.
They will try to buy you and your mind.
Only the curious have something to find."

Teachinfourth said...

Nettle,

You just quoted one of my all-time favorite songs! I love the lines you used from it as well. Not only is it my reminder of "stuff" but my portal to southern Utah and the desert I love so much.

"Here I go, I'm diving in
I'm going deep
In over my head I want to be.
Caught in the rush,
Lost in the flow
In over my head I want to go.
The river's deep, the river's wide
the river's water is alive
So sink or swim...
I'm diving in."

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...