Tuesday, March 11, 2008

It looked like radiator fluid

Pin It ...only with bubbles.

I remember hating all sodas except for Sprite or a root beer when I was growing up. Dr. Pepper made me want to vomit and Coke or Pepsi made my stomach turn. Maybe this was because what we usually had to drink was diet caffeine-free Coke. NOT a pleasant drink. I remember trying regular Pepsi at my cousins’ house once when I was growing up and I couldn’t take the sugary sweetness of the soda…it was just way too much.

I liked root beer.

I dated a girl for awhile when I went to the Y who got me swear off soda and only drink water. We were both runners at the time (not me anymore, though) and I found I had greater endurance when I was not drinking soda.

I came to love water.

Water bottles were in my car, my house, in my classroom, in my backpack. I craved icy-cold water and I will admit that I felt much better when I was drinking a lot of it.

I found a recipe. It was one I had while on a white-water rafting trip last summer. The base for the marinade was Mountain Dew.

The other day I had a craving for this barbecued delight and went out to buy some Mountain Dew. I felt like I was buying beer. I snuck it into my cart and put a few other items over it as I walked around the Springville Wal-Mart…just in case somebody I knew saw that I was buying it. Upon arriving home I used some of it, while the rest sat in my pantry. A few days later I had a screaming migraine and a friend of mine recommended drinking a Mountain Dew. “The caffeine will help knock out your headache.” He’d said.

It looked like radiator fluid, but that is not how it tasted. I remember pouring the contents into a glass with ice. The way it foamed up to the top of the glass with a quiet bubbly sound, the deep amberish-green color of the beverage which had a slight lemony-limeish taste. My friend was right, it did indeed knock out my headache like a heavyweight boxer in a death match. Oh, Mountain Dew, how wonderful you are.

I still have the case in my pantry which I do use occasionally, but only for medicinal purposes…

Mostly.

13 comments:

Cari said...

Do yourself a favor (trust me, I know!) only drink it sparingly. It stinks when you get addicted. That's all I'm saying. :)

Emily said...

You're so funny. I love you!

Emily said...

and by the way. I drink Diet Coke like an addict and I think I've turned out pretty ok.......right?

shoezimm said...

Honestly, I am the worst person in the world to lecture about the evils of soda pop (given that I drink enough of the crap that I should own stock in the company!) but Mt. Dew? Just say "ewwwwwwww to the Dew" is all I can say. Caffeine Free Diet Coke totally rocks (and eats the lining of my stomach on a regular basis)....speaking from experience, being addicted to that crap is a pill to deal with and extremely hard to break.

Danielle said...

You are hilarious. So did you know I was getting married in April? April 5th. I see your wonderful pictures and wonder how much you'd charge to take some at my wedding, if you happened to be in the area......
;)

annette said...

My weakness is moca flavored icecream or hot chocolate..shhhh!

Teachinfourth said...

Cari,

I still have half of the case...it sits in the pantry patiently waiting.

Emmy,

Of all the D.C. addicts, you are my bestest.

Shoe,

I have been going sparingly on it...there are times though that I don't. I just noticed that the orange-flavored "Airborne" tastes a bit like it too...

Danny,

Where would you be for this extravaganza? Send me an email sometime or your number and we'll talk. My address is at the top of my blogpage.

Nettle,

Your secret is safe with me, however, I don't know about the rest of blogland...

Julie said...

I gotta say...water is still the BEST drink in the entire world!

K.J. said...

We all have our weeknesses!
Mnt. Dew never has been one of mine.
Chocolate and...Chunk-A-Poo cookie dough! I can eat the whole baggie and still want more as my tummy is aching!

smalltoes said...

I am just putting this out there. I have not had pop for 13 years. I hear it hurts if you drink it after you haven't had it for a long time. I don't like pain so I haven't tested it out.

jacs said...

i quit smoking. i quit drinking. i quit doing drugs.i quit drinking coffee. i even made a feeble attempt to stop saying "bad words." i will drink diet coke and say "sucks" for the rest of my life.

jacs said...

just admit it...the dark side is so much more fun.

Danielle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...