Thursday, March 6, 2008

You know, it’s a little bit funny…

Pin It Today I went up to get my taxes done as well as set up the S-Corp. You’ll never guess what though. As I was sitting there with stacks of receipts and documents I took out my W-2 forms and handed them to Sue, the woman doing my taxes for me. Well, you can imagine my surprise when she said, “Your name is wrong on your W-2 forms.”

“What?” I responded, “What do you mean?.”

Hmmm….

Jerry L. Zimmerman

Strange, this person had my same address, yet, my name is not Jerry.

I looked down the totals inside and knew that it was not merely a typo of my name, this was an entirely different person’s form, sent to my address my mistake. I knew this because, after all, I didn’t make THAT much as a schoolteacher.

In trying to track down my employee number to see about downloading my W-2 from online, I went out to my car to get a pay stub from the reimbursement check the school district had sent me. I had had this check for probably 3 months and had only decided to deposit it this morning into my bank account. As I picked up the stub I noticed the name…you got it, my old buddy Jerry L. Zimmerman.

Well, so now it appears that I have not only opened another person’s mail, I have signed one of their checks and deposited it as well...hello identity fraud.

It’s a little bit funny…

8 comments:

Julie said...

No, that's A LOT bit funny! :) That is a great story...Jerry (or whoever you really are).

Farscaper said...

Hi! You don't know me.... I'm friends with Annette.

I just picked my jaw up off the floor. What a crazy mistake. I'm wondering what you are going to do to get this sorted out. How did the school get your info and some other guy's info mixed up like that? (I know.. $$million$$ quesiton) Does the other guy work for the same district?

I know... you have no clue yet. I just had to ask.

smalltoes said...

Hey what a great story but what a pain in the butt that can turn out to be. I am sorry.

shoezimm said...

Actually, while being funny, its also sad that the educational system can't keep people straight. I keep getting phone calls from the Payson school district whenever a certain student is absent. I don't know how many times I have called the school and told them I am not the contact for this person but they still keep the automated system calling me anyway (one guy I talked to there said there was nothing he could do because he had no access to student files and didn't know who did!)....so much for Utah's "anonymity of students attending our schools"...or that of teachers! You should put a bee in the school district's ear because now you know someone else's "hush hush" pay scale and he probably knows yours as well! (He makes more than you, right? Man, I'd ask for a raise since you know at least one other guy is making that much money!)

Gerb said...

Maybe you should just legally change your name. Easy raise!

Teachinfourth said...

Jewels,

Yeah...I was thinking of changing my name anyhow. Besides, Jerry is kind of cool, right?

Farscaper,

Well, it turns out that the district accidentally "updated" Jerry's address with mine during the summer when I'd moved. It turns out that he is actually a "she" and had already contacted them about not getting her stuff and they'd reissued it for her. As for the money, I will need to write a check and pay it back. Ah well, easy come, easy go, right?

Shay-Shay,

It will be okay in the end. I did get a pretty nifty blog entry out of it.

Shoe,

Unfortunately it doesn't work that way with pay...it's the amount of years you've been with the school district...curses!

Gerb,

I don't know if I would really want to be a "Jerry" but I had always been partial to maybe Spike or Butch.

K.J. said...

I hope it all works out for you. I hope you really are who you say you are and not some imposter!

jacs said...

dont forget my personal favorite...JESUS SANDAL...! ps i think kim's mom finally gave up her delusions of dating paradise because you are once again jason in her phone....but somehow you kind of feel that it lost something in translation.hmmmm

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...