Sunday, March 2, 2008

Storms...and He that Calms Them

Pin It

Remember when I said that I had a soundtrack to my life?

I do.

I remember when I compiled the varied songs that there were far too many to simply have a one, or even a two-disk compilation. There are just too many songs which have become interwoven into the threads of my experiences. Their words, as well as the emotions they invoke, would also need to be included in that simple “soundtrack” to my life.

I needed more.

I went for a walk tonight, enjoying the crisp, evening air and the empty streets a Sunday night always seems to provide. It was nice to be outside and away from the things in a week which, at times, has been hectic and draining for me. As I was walking on a road overlooking the city, I stopped to gaze at the lights spread out below me…

In this vast panorama which lay before me, I could imagine a veritable trove of people, all with their individual lives and problems, struggles and challenges, joys and accomplishments. As I stood looking out over the city, it seemed so calm, so quiet. Into my mind came the words from a song I’d first heard many years before, as I drank in the calmness all around me, I felt at peace.

The calmer of the storm does look down and He sees us all, and is mindful of everything we experience in our lives. All of our pains, trials, and everything which bombard us each day; I need to remember to take the time to raise my eyes and not concentrate on the waves crashing around me.

My favorite stanza from the song is the following:

“There on the storm I am learning to let go.
The white wave’s high, it’s crashing o’er the deck
And I don’t know where I go.
Where are You Lord? Is my ship going down?
The mast is gone so throw the anchor…
Should I jump and try to swim to land?”

Thank you, Calmer of the Storm.



Calmer of the Storm

Down Here

When everything is wrong
The day has passed and nothing’s done
And the whole world seems against me
When I’m rolling in my bed, there’s a storm in my head
I’m afraid of sinking in despair.

Teach me, Lord to have faith
In what You’re bringing me will
Change my life and bring You glory

There on the storm I am learning to let go
Of the will that I so long to control
There may I be in Your arms eternally
I thank you, Lord, You are the calmer of the storm.

You rebuke the wind and the waves
Once again I find I’m amazed by the power of Your will
‘Cause I’m a child of little faith
I feel the wind and forget Your grace
And You say, “Peace, be still.”

Teach me, Lord to have faith
In what You’re bringing me will
Change my life and bring You glory

There on the storm I am learning to let go
Of the will that I so long to control
There may I be in Your arms eternally
I thank you, Lord, You are the calmer of the storm.

Oh when the torment blows
The middle of the sea.
May I never trust, never trust in me.
‘Cause there in Your arms I find
No tragedy.

There on the storm I am learning to let go
The white wave’s high, it’s crashing o’er the deck
And I don’t know where I go
Where are You Lord, is my ship going down?
The mast is gone so throw the anchor
Should I jump and try to swim to land?

There on the storm, teach me God to understand
Of Your will that I just cannot control.
There may I see all Your love protecting me
I thank you Lord, You are the calmer of the storm.

5 comments:

annette said...

This is one of my favorite songs! The words and the melody both speak to my soul. I too get overwhelmed. (I think God purposely puts too much on my plate for me to handle so that I HAVE to rely on Him.) Isn't it great how a walk (or a hike) can put things back in perspective?

BTW, nice bit of writing- very poetic.

Julie said...

Great Song! Thanks for sharing. I KNOW that HE is there and mindful, of EVERYTHING, even when we feel alone. I love the thoughts and peace that a walk can envoke.

smalltoes said...

I had never heard that song before, but I liked it. I feel like I have a soundtrack for my life too. You know that song you sent me is the one that is for Comedy Sportz. I should write a blog about that. Have a song is for everything in my life. I will do that one, right after I do one about if I were someone else who would I be!!!

Gerb said...

What an awesome song. Great post, good things to think about.

Funny, I almost wrote a post yesterday about my Life Soundtrack. I've been thinking about it since your last post on the topic. Now I will have to wait awhile on that one so I don't feel like a copycat blogger. =0)

Teachinfourth said...

Nettle,

Thanks. I love it too. I need to walk a lot more often than I do.

Jewels,

So true.

Shay-Shay,

It's amazing to me that we can have soundtracks to our lives and we don't even get charged royalties to use them. It's also amazing to find other individuals who have the same songs that we do...even if they are for different scenes.

Gerb,

They do say that imitation is the highest form of flattery, right? In that case, copy on!

Seriously though, I would love to have a little more insight to the life and times of "The Gerbster."

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...