Sunday, March 23, 2008

Welcome to My Life

Pin It Updated 10/4/09 - I've added about 9 new songs into the 'tracklist' below..

Isn’t amazing that the people we meet we often only see one side of them? I remember going to my friends’ houses and their parents were always so much cooler than mine were. And yet, as I look back and think about this, I ask myself: Was that really the case?

I believe it is like this with many of the people we meet every day.

In my own life I have had people tell me that I am an amazing teacher, that I’m incredibly organized, and that I am such a funny person. As I listen to these things I think, Now, just who are you talking about here?

“Well, you’re never down, Teachinfourth. You’re always in a good mood.”

Boy, I’ve got you all faked out.

One thing I have come to realize is that every single one of us has our days. Sometimes some of these days are worse than others. How often have you put on a happy face and just tried to plow through? To make it to the end of the day when you can fall down on your bed and finally breathe out a sigh of relief because it’s finally over? Every single one of us had had our shares of worries, struggles, and heartaches too.

Yet, we try so often not to show others this part of ourselves.

Are there days when I don’t want to get out of bed? Absolutely! We all have these moments in our lives—sometimes more than others may have them. I was watching Sleepless in Seattle a while ago and I found myself really relating to a line Tom Hanks’ character says in the movie, “I’m going get out of bed every morning...breathe in and out all day long. Then, after a while I won’t have to remind myself to get out of bed every morning and breathe in and out.”

I’ve felt like this before, haven’t you?

Sometimes I blast a song in my car…maybe you’re heard of it…Welcome to My Life by Simple Plan. There have been days I’ve cranked this song in my car and sang along with it. There’s something liberating about having a couple of songs like that which make you feel good inside or allow you to scream it all out. I do have several “feel good” songs too…a few songs which always seem to make me feel better when I’m down. Just a few of these songs are:

(By the way, I do not endorse any of the videos listed below (well, other than the last 4), but the songs are good. The first song does have two swear words which I have edited on my mp3, however, on YouTube, this is not the case).

You Get What You Give - The New Radicals
Bittersweet Symphony – The Verve
On A High – Duncan Shiek
Gotta Be – Desree
What are You Waiting For? – Lindsay Lohan
Everybody Wants to Rule the World - Tears for Fears
Unwritten - Natasha Beddingfield
First Time - Lifehouse
Hold On - Wilson Phillips
Break it Down Again - Tears for Fears
Swing Swing - All American Rejects
Viva La Vida - Coldplay
I Believe - Yolanda Adams
Save it for Later - Splender
Wonderful - Gary Go
This Side – Nickel Creek
The Riddle – Five for Fighting
Not Home Yet – Steven Curtis Chapman
Live Out Loud – Steven Curtis Chapman

But do you know something? When I really stop to think about it, I know what it really is that brings happiness to my life. It comes from the people around me. It is these individuals who see me—imperfections and all—and still love me anyhow. It is the people that I spend my time with—though limited it may be. It comes from the people I serve. Yes, these people are far from perfect, yet, so am I…so it’s a fair exchange, don’t you think?

15 comments:

annette said...

We all have both sides- good and bad, up and down, sweet and aweful, angry and tolerant, irrational and sane (although some more than others). This is why when people ask me, "How are you?", I often don't know what to say. Do I tell them the pos. or neg. since I'm often feeling both?

One thing I do know, friends are those who see your imperfections, and like you anyway.

Great song list (some of my personal fav's in there)- I need to make a CD like that!

Gerb said...

Great post. It captures the feelings I think everyone has at some point. I can definitely relate! One song that always comes to mind when I am thinking about what you mentioned is Superman (It's Not Easy) by Five for Fighting.

K.J. said...

I am feeling like this...just about every day lately! I paint my smile on every morning...only a handful can see how much I am struggling right now...I loved reading this. I am so far from perfect, and yet...wish I could be a little more perfect than I am.
I really enjoy your thoughts and music. I look forward to looking at your blog!

Danielle said...

We all feel you! ;)
You just put it better than some of us!

Emily said...

Boy do I relate. We all have days like that, unfortunately. But anyway--people do love you for who you are. You are amazing despite whatever 'days' you may have. Thanks for the visit the other day. It was good to see you and have company and it was a good spirit-lifter. Maybe not spiritUAL-lifter, but you know...just kidding. :)

K.J. said...

The song "What are you waiting for" was the song Shanny did her solo to last year.
(it was by a differnt singer)
Watching her dance to such a great song added so much to it.
(she took queen!)
If you want to watch it...let me know. I will stop by your classroom sometime. It is just under 2 minutes long.
You really are a wonderful person, and are always an uplift to those around you! You always make me smile!

Teachinfourth said...

Nettle,

You a secret song-screamer in the car too?

Thanks for being such a good friend who sees past all the imperfections I have.

Gerb,

I love that song too...as well as his, "100 years."

KJ,

We're all fakers, aren't we? I would like to see the dance routine sometime, will you be performing it?

Danny-Scream,

Thank goodness I'm not alone!

Emmy,

It was good to see you guys too...we really need to do that kind of thing more often (of course, at my house since the cats at yours...)

Richard & Natalie said...

Glad to know you have 'those days' too- I was beginning to think you weren't human... Thanks for sharing your music. I have some, want some, and some will be a first to listen to.

Teachinfourth said...

Sorry to burst the bubble...hope you like the music as much as I do. Music for me is a way of life...

L said...

Excellent post. Matchbox Twenty's Long Day is one I would add in part because it has been running through my head all day.

Corine Moore said...

"Welcome to my life too!" :D Along with just about EVERYONE else as well.

We all have so much that we go through; there is always so much good too, but it can be harder to notice if we don't train ourselves to look for it.

It seems that Satan shouts out in our minds reminders of all that lacks in our lives, (or all that he wants us to think we lack). If we train oursleves to tune that out - to refuse to listen to it and to choose to focus on our goals and on everything that is good... we don't even have to think about breathing in and out anymore; we are too busy moving forward towards the goals that we are certain we will achieve; and that creates a great feeling of not lacking! :D

PS Thank God for friends; people who love us no matter what! ;D

Corine Moore said...

PS I didn't get to listen to your songs (speaker went out today), but I am reminded of another, "Keeping the Faith" by Billy Joel

"The good old days weren't always good, and tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems."

- I love that line! :D

Perspective and attitude are EVERYTHING!

Thanks for sharing! :D

L said...

I had to jet out the door earlier but am not satisfied with my previous comment. I just didn't want to leave without saying something.

Your comment on serving others struck me. I have found that whenever I am having a rotten day it is best to do something for someone who is worse off than I. Makes the world of difference for me.

"Got My List" a 7 Seconds Cover by Jonah Matranga comes to mind lyrically on such days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfPti5E5u_U&feature=related

PMC said...

i needed to read this, right now. boy howdy. thank you very much. i have a fav - wild horses by natasha beddingfield. oh, i love that one.

Teachinfourth said...

L - I love that song, too!

C - It does appear that we often look back to the past through rose-colored glasses. I think you're right though, our attitude can really make or break just about anything!

L - I'll check it out.

M - Wild Horses? I'd not heard of this one before, but you can bet that I'm going to check it out now.

Thanks for sharing, guys.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...